Inunaki-Mura: Prologue

犬鳴村

Inunaki-Mura

'Inunaki Village'

- Prologue -

The sky was supposed to cloudless, but it wasn't. The endless azure colored surface embracing the lands was clear above one's head, yet somewhere in the distance, the heavy and dark flocks of cotton marched towards the generous sphere of white light which selflessly shared its treasures since the world's creation. Colder air approached the bushes from that direction and it would occasionally lift dust and sand off the ground, letting them fly on its strong and ruthless wings, alarming anything nearby of the storm that was coming.

With its steps barely and silently echoing through the space surrounded by bright, green leaves and blades of wild, tall grass, the chestnut stallion hoofed, following the dusty path, kicking the small rocks time after time, occasionally. Its sun-kissed mane was caressed by the gentle touch of the female's hand as it kept walking forward. The girl herself was silent on the horseback, inhaling and exhaling fresh country air while her exterior appearance remained nothing but a seemingly calm facade. Though her gaze was fixed onto the long and abandoned, lonely road before her, her thoughts drifted far away from the current reality.

Several months prior, Y/N had lost everyone she happened to hold dear, in a rather unexpected, rushed manner and turn of events. It all happened in one mere cycle people called a day - the catastrophe began and ended with sun's rising. Ever since then, the feelings and emotions found it hard to settle in the girl's heart, back in the stable order. Months had passed in doubting, assuming and just plain thinking before Y/N's will came back to her and she decided on what she wanted to do next. Thankfully for her and the long road of life in front of her, she did not give in to the temptations that would lead her body beneath the earth's surface. The urges to dig her own grave and rush her death were certainly at the distance from her mind by now. She had stepped away from the border of insanity a long time ago.

Instead, her current goal was to seek some of her blood relatives that happened to live in the countryside, in hopes she will be given some help - wind in the back to push her forward, as there weren't many things she could do alone, by herself. If that doesn't work, she had it in mind to seek and develop her own independence and find a new way to survive. Anything but to give in to the darkness of the mind.

Letters and information she managed to find back in the city lead her to the conclusion that some of her family lived at good distance from the town, in the Inunaki Village. Though she lacked information about it, with a bit of help of people passing by, Y/N learned where its location is and was currently headed there, in hopes that her presence will be accepted in the new house. Yet, as exciting and thrilling the whole idea of journey was, something in the back of Y/N's head kept bothering her, secretly. Whenever she questioned people about the Inunaki Village, they would give her directions, but their voices would be silent, with pity wavering in their eyes, barely visible. It concerned the girl just slightly, but she couldn't put her finger on it. And besides, it was too late to turn back now.

Once her eyes had trailed around and landed onto the gates in the distance, a smile full of relief was brought to Y/N's features and she felt as if some weight was taken off her chest, only to be replaced with new concerns. Now was the time to question the generosity of her own blood. Would they offer her their hand in the time of need, selflessly or will they turn their heads in arrogance and ignorance? Same question made the girl ponder over and over again, that entire sentence sinking into her head like some sort of hypnotizing spell. It brought a heavy sensation upon her chest, uneasiness and possible thrill making her stomach twist upon mere thought of what will happen. After all, their response could easily determine her fate.