Chapter Six

Luna woke up coated in sweat, panting with fear. Her dreams had been getting better, and the night she slept with Ginny they had disappeared entirely. But tonight they had reappeared, in the form of Ginny, lying bloodied and battered, not moving. Dream Luna had approached her, knowing what was wrong, but denying it. "Ginny?" Her voice had quivered, terrified of what the blood implied. "Ginny, are you alright? Ginny, you're scaring me. Are you alright?" The figure said nothing.
Luna reached over to nudge the corpse, and as she did, a swarm of maggots started crawling out of her mouth.
Shuddering, Luna crawled out of bed, searching for an escape in the cool air of the halls. Softly padding out of her dorm, she crept stealthily down the stairs, and drifted towards the door to release her from the tower. As soon she stepped out, she almost fell over someone sleeping on the floor. She peered down, searching for familiar features in the low light.
"Ginny?" She whispered.
The girl turned her freckled face to view Luna, her tired eyes blinked in surprise at the sudden awakening. "L-luna? Is that you?"
"Yes, it's me. Ginny, what are you doing here? Why aren't you in the Gryffindor tower?" Luna giggled a little, the lack of sleep and surprise at seeing her friend in such a silly position. "If you wanted to sleep with me, I would have let you in." Ginny yawned, sitting up on the thin blanket she had been sleeping on. "I had a nightmare, and since I woke up in the middle of the night, I couldn't get you, so I decided to sleep here." Luna giggled some more. "So, you woke up in the middle of the night because of a nightmare, and you decided you would sleep in front of my tower. Directly where people walk in the morning. All of Ravenclaw. That's the first thing you thought to do." Ginny sniffed a little, and smacked her lips. "Yeah, that sounds about right." Luna's giggles turned into snorts of laughter, her nightmare forgotten. She laughed and laughed, chuckling so hard a year escaped her eyes. "I can't believe- wheeze- that the first thing you thought of- wheeze- was to sleep- wheeze- right where everyone walks- wheeze- in the morning." She looked up to see Ginny chuckling, too. "Well, now that you put it like that, it sounds like a bad idea." And the two girls fell into a fit of laughter, falling on top of each other, giggling too hard to stay standing. "What are you doing?" An angry fifth year peered down at them, and at that they laughed even harder. Exasperated, the younger Ravenclaw shut the door, going back to bed.
When they finally pulled themselves together, Ginny spoke with a smile. "I forgot to ask, what made you come out here?" Luna's grin vanished, and her face sunk, making it look older by ten years. "I...I had a nightmare. About you. You were..." Luna stopped for a moment, and leaned into Ginny's chest, her breathing growing quick and shallow. "I'm so-sorry, Ginny." "Shh." Ginny wrapped her arms tighter around her companion, pressing her lips against Luna's hair. "It's alright, it was just a dream, it was just a dream." Luna choked on a sob, doing her best not to cry. "I k-kn-know. I'm s-orry, Ginny." "No, no Luna. Shhhhh, it's okay." Luna took a breath to replace a sob. "Ginn-ny?" She exhaled in uneven gasps. "Mmhmm, Luna?" "I..." Ginny squeezed her tighter. "Yes, love?" Luna sighed slightly, her body deflating. "Nevermind. It's nothing. We should go back to our common rooms. It'll be morning soon." Ginny moved upwards, Luna slipping from her fingers to sit up. "Yeah. You're right. What was I thinking? Stupid." Luna immediately felt guilty and remorseful for the loss of her companions closeness. "Alright, well you sleep well. Ill see you." Ginny nodded briskly, and, Luna thought, a little angrily. "Bye." And Ginny gathered up her things and left.