three.

SLIGHTLY.
003. | ❛ daisy was a b-word.

"THEY WERE CARELESS PEOPLE, TOM AND DAISY— THEY SMASHED UP THINGS AND CREATURES AND THEN RETREATED BACK INTO THEIR MONEY OR THEIR VAST CARELESSNESS OR WHATEVER IT WAS THAT KEPT THEM TOGETHER, AND LET OTHER PEOPLE CLEAN UP THE MESS THEY HAD MADE." Katia said out loud to Bucky early in the morning. She had figured that she could get in an extra hour of silence of the laboratory to calmly read to him, instead of reading to him with a bunch of other people around.

"So when Nick calls Tom and Daisy reckless, it signifies that he understands their true spirits. They aren't people to look up to or envy, they're simply spoiled children who haven't a care unless it concerns them directly. They do what they please and act for their own pleasure...... and if something goes wrong, they simply regroup and walk away. They leave the mess for someone to deal with." She said flipping over to the next page, and looked at Bucky once again. "In simple terminology, she was a huge b-word."

Katia said rising up and stretching her legs, placing the book on the her seat. She walked around the cylinder cryogenic machine that held Bucky in a comatose state; hoping that what she was doing was actually providing a good service. She didn't fully comprehend the science behind reading to patients who were in these type of states. Maybe Katia not understanding was Gatsby not understanding the fact that what he wanted and yearned for was no longer there.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." Katia quotes out loud as her hands hovered over his capsule. Her fingertips could feel the cold arising from it, and mere centimeters away from placing her hands on it.

Katia's eyes started to close her eyes as her hands were about to make contact and when she could feel the sheer coldness of it starting to graze her hand, the scientists had made their way in for the day; waking Katia up to reality and gathering her book with a bunch of sticky notes, and retreating back to the library.

Before she left, she uttered under her breath, "Goodbye, Bucky."

Pushing her hair behind her earlobe, she looked around the establishment of the facility; realizing at this moment that she had no real indication of what the rest of building contained. Sweeping each floor, almost as if on a mission, making sure that everything was intact. In these times, nobody could be too sure about anything. Katia reached one of the upper levels, specifically were the library was located, and walked down the hall. She could've sworn that she would've kept walking straight if the sounds of music caught her ears. Following it to its source, she was endowed with a small church in the room. The one that any hospital would have, and where dozens of people would do their prayers. Yet, she was all alone.

She never considered herself a religious person. In fact, she never stepped foot inside a church until now. At home, she would pray for all the evil to leave the world. Unfortunately, it would never come true because no matter how hard you try, with equal light, there is also an equal amount of darkness.

She stepped inside one of the pews, and took a seat looking up at the cross of Christ. Lifting her fingers to make the sign of the cross, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Praying never came natural to Katia, and she didn't exactly know why she had taken a seat or why she was still even in this small church. All she wanted to do was get up and walk away, but something kept her tied there. Almost like an invisible string to keep her in the small room. Katia put her book to the side, and got on her knees and crossed her hands to pray.

"Hey, God. I hope you can hear me. That's what my mother used to say. That God could hear everyone of us and that we were his children. I really hope that it's true." Katia said out loud, still looking at the cross. "I know that I'm not the best Catholic, but I came to ask you for a favor. The scientists that I've been working with alongside, gossip too much and say that the possibility of getting Bucky out of his state without getting all the Hydra out of his brain is further and further away."

"I know what he did, and most people can say that he deserves it. But, he's in there relying on me to keep him tied to reality. He counting on all of us to create a miracle to get the brainwash out of his head. So, what I want is a miracle. And I know that you grant those not so often, but he doesn't deserve it."

Katia looked up to the cross for the last time, and instantly shrunk up when she heard a cough from the back. Grabbing her gun from the side holster, she pointed it to T'Challa. He held his hands up in a sign of peace, and she instantly put the gun down.

"I didn't mean to interrupt, Katia.
I just simply wanted to see what other religions do."

"Well, we certainly don't bring guns to church." Katia joked as she exited the pew, and going closer to T'Challa.

"I hope I didn't interrupt your session."

"No, I was finished. It's just that I came to see if God would hear my prayers. I hear he's very good at that."

T'Challa looked up at the cross before over to Katia, "I'm sure that a pure soul like yourself is one that God hears all the time."

"Let's hope that he does this time around."