nine.

SLIGHTLY.
009. | ❛ peter pan.

TO LIVE WOULD BE AN AWFULLY BIG ADVENTURE. Although for many years, Katia didn't know what it felt like to be alive until she found comfort and motivate at SHIELD. But she knew that it came with a lot of responsibilities and in their line of work, it came with a lot of injuries and even death. But it only pushed Katia to make the best out of her job, to help as many people as she could and in the little time she thought she had left. When she got the mission to read to Bucky, it took a while to understand that it was part of her new life. To help those that couldn't help themselves.

Bucky, T'Challa, and Steve each wanted to be in that room with Katia to be a strong hand to help her. But each one was advised not to on doctor's orders, not knowing what had triggered her sudden collapse. The three man watched through the glass window as she stirred awake and being meet by the doctors eyes. But it was very clear to them that watching Katia, she only wanted to see her friends. Not caring for her own health for any moment. She wanted to know how Bucky was and where her friends were. Her screams were almost deafening because her pleas kept getting louder.

Steve rounded the corner and disobeyed the doctor's orders by stepping into her room, feeling the eyes of T'Challa and Bucky looking at him with a disapproving nod. But he knew that just the sight of one of them was enough to make Katia cool down and obey the orders that he had clearly broke.
An easy sigh left her chest, nodding to his figure as he stepped out and Katia obeyed his orders even if they weren't uttered; Stop being so stubborn and be worried about your health, we're fine.

Steve went back to the T'Challa who applauded him in his head, "She's stubborn. It surprises me how you managed to calm her down enough to listen."

"Katia is a lot of stubborn." He chuckled looking back at the attentive Katia looking at the doctor. "But when she came to SHIELD, she was looking for a new life. To help people and stop the evil that plagues this world. She could've joined the NYPD, FBI, or even the CIA. But she choose SHIELD. She trained harder than most to her to where she is. She was one of the best in the class that I taught, and even got a place on the Avengers. She cares more about others than she does of herself. That might get you killed or just might be the thing that motivates you to be the change that you want to see in the world."

T'Challa stood silent, amazed at the soldier's words. Perhaps now he knew why Katia was one that many would kill to know in this world, and why she was one to be strong even in the worst of times. The doctors exited her room and Katia was left all alone. And she smiled to the men looking at her through the window, but didn't see Bucky amongst them. Steve excused himself once again from T'Challa, who followed him regardless to check up on Katia.

"How you feeling, Rivers?" Steve asked as Katia slowly and softly lifted herself up. "Always worried about others before yourself."

"In our line of work, we have to." Katia smiled laying back on her bed, still feeling uneasy of not being on her feet and well.

"In our line of work, we have to worry about ourselves when we get hurt. Regardless of what the situation is." Steve commented in a stern look. "We can't afford to lose you, Katia."

Katia sat back accepting her friend's words and looked to the window once more to where they once stood. "How's Bucky?"

Katia pressed her lips together, concerned with how he must be taking what had happened to her. Probably thinking that it was his fault because she fainted, and she needed to see him to tell him it was the opposite. Just seeing him was a huge shock to her and that caused her to faint.

"He's hanging in there." Steve said getting closer to her. "Bucky thinks that it's his fault that you fainted, and I think he's just a little scared to see you after this."

Katia looked past Steve to see Bucky standing in her doorway, standing still in awe of her. Her breath quickened slightly and she grabbed Steve's hand to signal to him that she was alright with being left alone with him. He gave a pat to Katia's shoulder and then gave a concerning look to Bucky before exiting and leaving the two alone.

"Hello, Katia."