five.

SLIGHTLY.
005. | ❛ goddamn easiest thing.

IT IS SO HARD TO LEAVE— UNTIL YOU LEAVE. AND THEN IT IS THE EASIEST GODDAMNED THING IN THE WORLD. Katia normally stuck to classical books, but when her eyes stumbled upon John Green's books she couldn't deny the truth behind each of his books. Perhaps it was because she saw a tiny bit of herself in the book, that made it relatable to her despite it being for a younger audience. Leaving was always hard for Katia because she didn't know if where she was heading was anywhere better than where she was.

It was always fear that held her back from venturing forward towards the unknown, because once again, humans fear the unknown. Joining SHIELD was the only leap forward she took in her life, leaving literature and teaching behind to pursue a new chapter of her own book. So, John Green's quote spoke truth in so many levels because sometimes leaving can be the only thing that can set people free in the end.

This is what circled around in Katia's mind for the past month, that she was nearing the end of this mission but she wasn't exactly sure if she wanted to leave. The scientist had many talks back and forth with T'Challa keeping her in the loop of Bucky's condition. Conversations would steer more positive and have the optimism of actually being close to remove the information of Hydra from his brain. No matter what the outcome was; it felt like her responsibility to stay in Wakanda with Bucky.

She had laid down on the floor of the library, looking up towards the ceiling feeling the coldness of the floor causing her fingertips to shiver. At times, Katia would lay herself on a surface of the floor to ground herself to reality sometimes. Before, the life of a professor wasn't all interesting but the life of a SHIELD agent differed. The stress that would bewilder Katia would get taken out on nothing weirdly; she was just lay down on a clean surface and think.

"Are you going to keep staring at the ceiling or is there a man that needs to be read to?" The voice of T'Challa echoed through the library. She was used to his pop ups that it didn't scare her anymore as she continued to lay on the ground.

"The scientists gave me a day off. And it's a really interesting ceiling. You should look at it sometime." Katia said as she patted down alongside her on the floor, and gave him an upside down smile.
T'Challa straightened his shit before laying down next to Katia, and looking at the ceiling.

"The pattern scheme on the ceiling is terrible." T'Challa acknowledged which resulted in a small chuckle from Katia.

"Yeah, it is." Katia sighed softly before pulling herself upwards in, and offered her hand to pull T'Challa forward as well.

Both of them wiped themselves clean and walked slowly together around the building. None of them made a sound, making the area around them awkward and slightly uncomfortable to be in. Katia had millions of questions to ask, and various themes of discussion to have about what was to become of her, of Bucky after all of this was over. It wasn't until they had passed the small church room that Katia said something.

"Do you know when he's going to wake up?" She paused looking into his eyes. As a kid, her mother would tell her that she had eyes that nobody could say no to, and on occasions did those eyes fulfill their mission.

T'Challa cleared his throat and straightened his tie before giving into Katia's desire, "I can't lie to you, Katia. They are planning on waking him up tomorrow morning."

Her body tensed up slightly and accepted the information being told to her, and continuing to walk to give her time to process. The day that she hoped had come was upon them. At first, to go out of Wakanda and be given real missions that didn't require reading to a comatose person. But now, her reasons were completely different. She wanted to be there when they wake Bucky up, to be in the moment of when the brainwash leaves his brain. Or even to see if he remembered who she was even from her voice. She wanted more than being sent home afterwards and never seeing Bucky again.

"Can I be in the room when they wake up Bucky?" Katia asked while having her fingers crossed.

"I thought it was kind of obvious that you had to be there, Katia. After all of your hard work, you deserve to see it be payed off." T'Challa explained to her as they continued to make their way toward the double doors where the labs were.

Her phone rung and vibrated against her hip, and looking at the caller ID she was surprised at who was calling. Katia excused herself and walked a couple of feet ahead before answering.

"Hey Stevie, how's everything on the other side of the pond?" Katia chuckled and while her laugh died down, she didn't hear his at all. Silence emitted from his side and she want sure if it was her or his side, or if Steve was being quiet on purpose.

"Steve, is there something wrong?" She asked placing a hand on her hip, waiting for his response that didn't come.

"Katia, you might need to be seat for this." Steve told her and sudden nerves ran through her body, as she pressed her back against the wall and slid down taking a seat on the floor.

"Steve, you're really scaring me over here. Can you please tell me what's going on?" Her voice sounded desperate and that's when she heard a sudden sigh from Steve's voice.

"Katia, I'm so sorry. Your mother passed away today." Steve delivered and a sudden pain in her chest emitted from a blow of the news. Katia's eyes started to well up and let out a cry that concerned T'Challa, kneeling next to the agent.

"Please tell me that's not true! That can't be true, Steve!" She cried out.

"I'm sorry, Katia."

"I'm heading out for New York right now." Katia said with tears in her eyes, as she got herself up off the floor. Hanging up the phone, she turned to the concerned T'Challa.

"I need to get to New York fast. Can I borrow one of your planes?" Katia begged with tears dripping from her eyes.

"Katia, what is wrong?"

She bit her bottom lip trying to keep the cries inside for later, the last thing she needed was to break down in front of T'Challa. But, it was inevitable. Katia collapsed into his arms and staining his suit with her tears. He held her up as she cried on his shoulder before hearing words that nobody wants to hear, "My mother died."

"I'm so sorry, Katia." He said as she pushed back from his embrace, "My sincerest condolences."

"Thank you," Katia hushed giving a melancholy smile. She was about to for the plane when a scientist had burst from the double doors with a clipboard in hand. Katia wiped her tears dry and faced Dr. O' Connell.

"Ms. Rivers, as you know, we are planning to wake up Mr. Barnes tomorrow morning and need you to be here." He told her but she was quick to respond about her current situation.

"Can you please wait a couple of days until you wake him up, Dr. O' Connell? I have to head out right now and won't return in time for tomorrow." Katia told him in simple terms not wanting to let go her emotions right now and collapse in front of the doctor.

"I don't know if we can—"

"Dr. O'Connell, you will have to wait until Katia returns from the States in two days before you wake up Mr. Barnes. Is that understood?" T'Challa stepped in before the doctor looked at his clipboard writing a few things down and flipping his papers before looking back up at the pair.

"Yes, King T'Challa." He said before returning to the lab.

T'Challa turned to face Katia who held another smile on her face, "Thank you."

"No need to thank me. You can use one of the planes to get you back to the States. I know what it's like to lose a parent." T'Challa said leading Katia quickly down the corridors.

"Just come back, Katia. Because Mr. Barnes is going to wake up in two days, and he's going to need you by his side."