A Start

They dried their wet clothes, twisting the rainwater into the stream and stuffed them into their bags. They were wearing the cheapest clothes they could get their hands on, and the rest of the money would be for paying for a night in an inn. They'd have to get a job somewhere, find the library and study to get into Fantasy Academy. No matter what other people think, they will do it.

A ding sounded when they opened the door. The room inside was warm, made of oak wood. The villagers said this was the cheapest inn they knew. The reason to that would be obvious for them. It was made out of a hollowed tree, for goodness' sake.

"A room for two, please." Luna mustered the courage to speak to the inn keeper. "The cheapest one, if that's possible."

"Yes, that will be...one Silver per night."

She put the coin into the innkeeper's hand, as his other hand searched in the drawers for the key. "The room's a bit dusty, don't mind it, and if there's anything you need, just come down here and ask." He smiled.

"Yes, thank you very much, sir." And they walked upstairs. The inn itself was certainly big; Luna could just barely see the roof. It was reasonable, judging by the size of the tree, but they were in one of the lower floors. Luna pulled the door open.

The room was dusty for sure. It was a narrow room, half the size of their old one. A small, surely dusty but cozy looking bunk bed stood by the window, a small ore for emitting light were at both of the bedsides. There was nothing more to the room than that.

They could see the dissolving storm outside, revealing the warm light of the sun. Sara wasn't used to living in such a small area, but it must've been relieving for her to have an actual home rather than staying out in a forest. But from the look on her face, they were definitely going to need to clean the place up.

"We could go ask for some equipment from downstairs." Luna suggested.

"I'd really like it if we get this cleaned."

And that was how they spent the evening. The inn keeper was glad to lend them a hand. Once the room was clean, the moon has risen in the clear sky, shining brightly with the stars through the window. The ore lights were glowing dimly in the moonlight, giving them just enough light as they planned their next day. They were going to the library, get some information, and start practicing.

"Hey, Luna?"

The little sister hummed in response.

"Pray with me?"

"Pray what?

"That we'll have someone to guide us. I'm...not sure if we can do this alone."

"...sure"

The morning sunlight glowed through the window, waking Luna up. She felt a bit lonely, missing the call their mother would give them when she called them down for breakfast. She rolled over and looked down to the lower bed, where Sara was sleeping. Luna could hear her calling out to their parents in her sleep.

Luna sighed. Where would they get breakfast? Where's the library? Where do they go next? They really do need a guide through everything. She got out of bed and changed into her dry clothes, ones that were soaked from the rain yesterday. The air was still cold, so she put on her jacket and socks she wore from the first day she left. She opened the door and went downstairs, taking a slight glance back at her sister to make sure she was still fast asleep. She was, with a tear rolling down her cheek.

Luna turned around, silently closed the door and walked her way downstairs, her legs aching from the running they did yesterday. She was just as eager to cry heart out. But definitely not when she has important work to do.