Chapter 3: Risk

Tom

I would risk my life for this. It's a scary prospect, but I'll do it. I don't value my life more than hers. I don't place too much value in it anyways, even before I met her. After having several ideas, I finally executed them on paper. I scribbled in a notebook and closed it. Packing my things, I feel heavy, just as I did last night. I haven't talked to Edd in awhile.. Maybe I should consult him on this. I doubt myself too much not to seek help.. but I don't. I don't have the nerve to contact him. I haven't spoken to him in a year since I left the gang.

It doesn't help to think about my friends now. It's only salt in the wound that's already been cut twice as deep. Being isolated is okay for awhile. It's nice even to an extent. But when you can hear the ticking of your own clock for hours and all you do is sleep and drink.. it's no good. It turns sour very fast.. I haven't even played Susan in a couple days it's gotten so bad.. It's fine. Life will revert to how it was when I find her and protect her. I got her a ring. I know it's only been a year but I was going to propose. No one has ever had the ability to make me feel the way I do for her..

It's almost stupid what I'm doing, but I do it for love. I've never known love besides her and it makes you do crazy, stupid things, you know? I'm talking to myself again.. I guess that's what happens when you're alone too long.

The bag is heavy on my shoulder and it weighs down my chest. Or is that my regrets? Right now I can't tell. I sit on the train, holding the cold pole beneath my pale hands, shaking. It's scary.. going back to this place. The last time I was here, I nearly died. The outside is a blur as we move forward. I'm crowded by forgettable faces as I hold the olive blanket in hand. That blanket from the road trip awhile back. It seemed like yesterday.. People stare, I feel it. It's like a blade. I feel sick again, maybe it's just my hangover. I sure hope it is..

It's a hazy and prickling feeling in my arms and legs as my thumb rolls over the fabric and the train stops. I exit and the territory is surrounded with a winding barb wire fence. I tie a part of the blanket to my wrist and trudge on. The base is miles from here. I hope two. I don't know.. I was transported here last time via vehicle. Now I have to walk. It's not pleasant, as you can imagine. I'm dragging along bags.

It's been a few hours and I've stopped to rest a couple times. Nothing major. But I needed breaks. I thankfully brought water along. I see something in the distance, getting closer. This can't be right. This road is desolate. Except... Base patrols. Oh no. The automobile gets closer and before it has the chance to see me, I roll into the nearby ditch, heart racing. Please don't let them find me. I can hear the gravel of the road being crushed by the wheels and them coming to a screeching halt.

The driver opens the door and slams in, trudging through the grass to get to me. Great, this again. Oh well.

He says something in Norwegian that I don't understand as he looks down at me and another comes down and roughly hoists me up by the arms and drags me mercilessly onto the dirt road and into the trunk. I have a plan for this.

Just as they put me in the trunk, I kick one in the torso and he falls back, the impact from the sharp rocks on his head causing him to bleed. The other yells and tries to shove me down into the trunk forcefully but I punch him square in the nose. My knuckles are on fire. I step on the first one's legs with my whole body weight, ripping the keys from his belt and both of their guns. The second doesn't get up but the first tries to yank me down with him. I kick him in the face, hearing the crack of teeth and possibly skull and wince, phased for only a moment. Then, I scramble to the driver's side and unlock it, hopping in and starting the ignition. It smells like copper. Probably because of blood. Without a second thought, I drive off in the direction of the base, careful to not crush their bodies underneath the car. I want them to live and to suffer. They are Tord's men.