~Chapter 8~

“Grell… Grell! Wake up.”

Grell stirred, and her eyes fluttered open. At first, her vision was dark, but she realized that her face was planted on top of her open textbook. She lifted her head, rubbing the drowsiness out of her eyes as she sat up at her desk. Blinking slowly, she saw that the clock sitting on her desk read 7:30 PM. She had been asleep for hours now.

The owner of the voice was William, who held two plastic cups sealed by a lid, one in each hand. He brought one of them towards Grell.

“What's this?” Grell sleepily asked, taking the cup. The hot liquid inside made it so that the cup's outer surface warmed Grell’s palm and fingers.

“Black tea,” William answered. “I went to the café closest to here. I grabbed one for myself, but figured you would like one as well.”

Grell took a sip. The tea was very hot, but not excruciating. There wasn't any sugar or cream added to it, allowing Grell to savor the herby bitterness.

“Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?” She asked William, who took a sip of his drink as well.

“I suppose you can say that I'm impressed.” William shrugged.

A triumphant grin spread across Grell's face. One hand holding the tea, she used the other to make theatrical gestures as she spoke. “Why? Because a soon-to-be deadly efficient reaper like me will learn months' worth of uni in two weeks?”

“No. Not quite.”

“Huh?”

“It's not uncommon for students to wait until the last minute to cram for an exam or write an important paper just before the deadline. But you're a special case,” William explained.

“What is that supposed to mean!?”

Unfazed by Grell's offended, venomous glare, William said, “Well, most of the students I'm talking about actually attend classes on a consistent basis. Even if they do, they do put off some studying and assignments. But you had only attended classes a handful of times at the beginning of the semester, only returning in the last two weeks. Yet you believe you'll pass.”

“I will if I read everything!” Grell objected, narrowing her eyes at her roommate. “I still have a chance. It's you who is doubting me.”

“Well, I had just witnessed you losing hours' worth of study time.” William used his free hand to re-adjust his glasses. “You studied for only a few hours only to fall asleep until now. That being said: I'm simply impressed at your determination at this point with your personal circumstances. I do hope that the studying you do goes well.”

There was a moment of silence.

“Studying isn't going well, I'm afraid.” Grell let out a tired, sad sigh. “There are just mountains of information that I just can't contain! At first, it was easy. But it seems that the more I read, the more I lose other information like water leaking from an overfilled cup!”

“That's what happens when you leave all of the studying for the last minute,” William simply said.

“Yeah, yeah, I know I brought this upon myself! No need to rub it in…” The redhead huffed in annoyance.

“What were you working on anyway?” William asked. “Just before you fell asleep.”

“This.” Grell took the documents that were on her desk and held them up to show William. “Just these old assignments.”

“Ah, I remember that one. That was due ages ago. If you're interested in my personal suggestion: Don't bother doing it. Or any overdue assignments for that class. Our instructor doesn't accept late work except for dire circumstances. Of course, you would know that if you actually went to class.”