III

As I was flying back towards civilization I was intercepted by another guardian angel named Sara. As she approached she did the same thing. I wasn't in the mood for hovering in mid-air whilst I spoke. Sara was the guardian angel of Peace, so she could sense how serene someone was feeling. Similar to how Vlad could use people's hatred to make him stronger (since he was the demon of hatred) and how I knew when people are telling the truth or lie (since I was the Guardian Angel of truth).

"How did it go?" She asked as she landed.

I winced before regaining my composure. My face was expressionless. "How do you think?" I asked, hurt clearly seeing in my voice.

She nodded in understanding. "I can feel how upset you are. You aren't feeling peaceful at all. I knew this would happen. I knew that it wasn't the best idea to send you like he demanded."

It was clear, after hearing the way she referred to him, that she hated Vlad. I guessed this shouldn't be surprising. Despite what humans believed, Angels were quite capable of what 'sin' and hatred were. Naturally, all angels hated demons and demons hated all angels. This must have been ideal for Vlad - he could gain power from any angel he fought because they would hate him. Vlad was particularly hated since he was a traitor.

Humans did get one thing right though, our leader was called God and the demon's leader was called the Devil. That was the only things that human's knew. Our leader was called God but he was not the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth like some of them seemed to believe. God was a powerful angel, in fact, he was the Guardian Angel of power. He was the strongest and oldest angel in history. He had been here since the beginning of time. He had no children - so there was no Jesus - and he was the wisest of all angels. I had seen him before. He radiated power. But he couldn't take part in battles, nor could the Devil. Ancient magic prevented them from fighting anyone but each other. God and Satin had fought each other in the past and catastrophic things had happen in the human realm as a result. One time their battle made Mount. Vesuvius erupt, killing thousands of humans. God felt terribly guilty afterwards. None of them ever won the battle against each other. They were too evenly matched and if they unleashed their full power, they would have destroyed the universe.

Satan was the demon of Evil. He relished in all pain and enjoyed causing pain. He was a true sadist. The faults in the human realm were his doing. He - as do all demons - found it highly entertaining to watch humans suffer. Angels, however, tried to help humans and we were responsible for many of their miracles.

Sara interrupted me from my brooding. "What did he say?" She asked impatiently.

I looked at her steadily before answering. "He said that he offered peace... I didn't exactly turn him down but I made it clear that I didn't believe him. He said to light the beacon if we accept their offer." I explained.

The beacon was like a portal between the two realms of heaven and hell. People couldn't travel through it but it could be lit by an Elite - by using their power that came with their title - and when it was lit, it became lit in the demon realm also.

Sara snorted. "You were right not to believe him. The other Elites will want to hear about this. Let's go." She lifted up into the sky and after a sigh I followed her too.

We flew in silence and my long hair billowed out behind me. Sara had black hair and was quite short. Most of the angels had short hair but mine was long. It was unusual but I had let it grow because Vlad had said that he liked my hair long. One of Sara's feathers came loose and flew into my face. I held it in my fingers for a second. It was so white and pure - as all Angel's wings were. Demon's biology is the same as Angel's. We both looked like humans with long wings, although their wings were black and ours were white.

My mind wondered to Vlad, like it often did. I went over his appearance as it was possible that one of us wouldn't survive this upcoming battle. Even though we were now enemies and in some ways I hated him, I was sure I couldn't bear his death. Vlad was tall with dark, messy hair. Although his hair was messy it had that intentionally messed up look about it. He had pale skin and his skin felt cold because he was a demon. All demon's had cold skin. He was very strong and had the thick bands of muscles around his chest and arms to prove it. He had beautiful dark eyes which go with his hair amazingly. I used to get lost in those eyes. He had a prominent jaw bone but the best thing about his face was the expressions. They were usually so serious but somehow they managed to stay relaxed and humorous.

"Mia!" Sara almost yelled.

I was startled. I had gone into so other world. "What?" I asked, as soon as my mind came back to reality.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I've been talking for the last minute. Did you hear any of it?"

I shook my head filled with remorse. "I am so sorry. My mind was somewhere else."

She nodded. "I guess that's understandable. Anyway I was saying that we will have to go to the council of Elites and go over the prospect if we are accepting their peace offering. I doubt we will but it still has to be done."

I nodded, agreeing to her. The council of Elites was a council made up of every Angel Elite in heaven. There were only a hundreds of us or so. Normally no Angel became an Elite as quickly as I did - and Vlad would have - but we both excelled greatly.

As we landed in Shangri-La (An angel city) we were met by Hades, the Guardian Angel of Wisdom.

"Hi, Sara, Mia." He greeted us with a warm smile.

Sara nodded whilst I greeted him back "Hey Hades. Long time no see."

"Yes, I was beginning to think that you were avoiding me." He joked as I rolled my eyes.

I pretended to look shocked. "Avoid you? Never!"

I could see Sara, controlling her urge to laugh by putting her hand to her mouth. The friendship between Hades and I went back ages ago. He had been friends with Vlad as well but now he hated him like all other angels.

After regaining our composure we came back to the original topic and Hades' face became serious. "The council is ready. Are you?"

I nodded and Sara frowned. "Are you sure this is the best thing to do?" She asked in concern whilst eyeing me.

Hades frowned. "I know, it won't be too... easy for you, Mia, but it has to be done."

I nodded, appreciating their concern. "I'm fine-" I started to say but I saw Sara shake her head as she was feeling how un-fine I was right now. "I'll live." I amended.

They nodded reluctantly and I followed them into the Council foyer. Another Elite came up to us and asked what had happened. I considered lying, but being the Guardian Angel of truth, that was almost impossible. Instead I said "You'll see in here." He nodded and left.

"Are you ready?" Asked Sara softly.

I couldn't lie so I simply stayed silent. Hades nodded in understanding and went out before us to introduce ourselves. I could hear his voice but it sounded far away as he introduced Sara and I to the Council.

When I heard the bell chime I knew it was time to go out but I couldn't make my legs move. Sara tugged on my hand encouragingly and radiated peace. It helped to calm me down and I took that final step into the light.

←→

Next update: 04/06/2017

V O T E

C O M M E N T

S H A R E