IV

The Elites stared down at me as they appraised me. They were probably taking in my wind blown hair and flushed cheeks. Overall, not the best way to look when speaking to the council.

God stood up and I bowed my head in a sign of respect. "Mia, Guardian Angel of Truth." He greeted me solemnly.

In a clear voice which rang throughout the council I opened my mouth to speak, "My humblest greetings, God, the Guardian Angel of Power." He smiled and sat back down as he motioned for me to begin.

"Vlad, the demon of hatred, reques-demanded through the beacon that I meet him upon the hill of ashes in the human realm. He asked me to go alone and that I did, despite knowing the risk that there could've been more demons than him waiting to ambush me." I spoke.

A murmur rang throughout the hall but I ignored it. My past and history with Vlad was known to every Angel in this hall and I suspected that I was often the source of gossip because of it. I paid no attention to the other Elites and I continued.

"I met him atop the hill of Ashes and he was alone. There was no ambush and there was no trap. He offered something to me, on behalf of the demons. He claimed that his words were true as he offered me..." I hesitated, knowing the chaos the word would cause." He offered me-peace."

There was instantly an uproar, just as I had known there would be but I did not stop talking. I merely raised my voice and continued louder than before.

"He offered me peace and it was clear that he was not happy about it. He said something along the lines of: You cannot win, this battle is pointless. His instructions were to light the Beacon if we accepted the demon's offer of peace.

I fell quiet as every Angel began to make their opinion on the matter clear. I heard many words go around such as 'ridiculous', 'unbelievable' and 'outrageous'. I did not join in any of the conversations or discussions and instead glanced up at God who was silent in deep thought and concentration.

Suddenly he stood up and boomed, "Quiet!"

The council was suddenly as silent as the grave. I swear that I could have heard a pin drop. God turned to me and questioned me directly.

"Mia, you have had the most experience with Vlad. You also know when people are lying. Tell me - was he being truthful and honest with his offer?" he tries to enquire.

I hesitated before raising my head and meeting the gazes of several Angels. "I am sorry and ashamed to admit that I let my feelings get out of hand and I wasn't concentrating on whether or not he was being truthful. On one hand, due to his past, I would say that I do not believe him. But on the other hand, he knows I am the Angel of truth and he requested me personally. He could not have foreseen that I wouldn't be paying attention to his honesty so why would he lie if he knew I would be able to see straight through him?"

God nodded whilst one Angel called out, "Peace! This is outrageous. It is obviously a false offer. These are Demons we are talking about! Peace is a dirty word to them. It is not something they would ever consider. They would all rather fight to the death before offering peace to us and sparing our lives!" he countered.

I glared up at him. "And you know this for a fact, do you?" I asked with a voice that was frighteningly calm. "Since when have you gained so much knowledge on the minds of Demons? Have you talked to one recently?" I asked mockingly.

The Angel turned blue and glared at me. "You still defend Vlad, after all that he has done to you and to the Angels? He is a traitor. He is a liar. We cannot believe a word that he says." He shouted.

I opened my mouth to say something again but God silenced the room. "Quiet! No one will speak unless I give them permission."

All of the Angels sat down and I turned to him and watched his face, deep in thought.