VII

Sara intercepted me just like she had the night before. She cried out in relief when she saw me and wrapped her arms around me. I felt like crying but no tears came. I was so relieved that I was back in the angel realm, that I was safe again. I clung onto Sara and felt like singing out my relief. But I stayed quiet and closed my eyes.

Her voice brought me back to reality. "Mia! You're alright! Oh, we thought something bad had happened."

She waited for me to reply but I didn't. I just stared out into the space over her shoulder. She nudged me but I still didn't respond. "Mia?" she asked tentatively and unsure. I want not totally out from my thoughts.

I sighed. "I'm alright. Something did happen but I'm fine now." I murmured. I could feel her rush of questions coming on. They weren't something that I wanted to face right now.

But Sara surprised me. Instead of the interrogation I had been sure would come, there was silence. She wordlessly took my hand reassuringly and sighed. "I'll kill him." She murmured fiercely.

I shook my head. "No, I will."

She looked at me in shock. "What? What did he do? Are you sure that you want to k-kill him?"

I sighed and shook my head. "No, I'm not sure, but a few minutes ago I wouldn't have cared if he died. They were a nice few minutes - no confusion, no love - only extreme hatred." I closed my eyes and slowly shook my head.

Sara seemed to be burning with curiosity but she kept her questions from bubbling to her lips and flew with me back to the castle. When we got there I could see that the place seemed to be in an uproar. Guardian Angels were patrolling the perimeter and everyone had a frantic and disheveled look about their appearance.

Once we had been sighted, a guardian Angel blew on a horn - our way of signaling something - and more horns started to blow in response. Soon it was as if there was a loud fanfare going on around us. I guessed that the horns had been a signal to God because he flew out to meet us.

He quickly examined me before asking "Are you hurt?" in a concerned voice.

I shook my head. "I'm fine, at least I am now. I was injured before..." I trailed off after noticing their expressions. They ranged from aghast to shock. I stayed quiet and tensed my back. I glanced over God's shoulder and could see more Angels approaching. I couldn't help a small groan. A council meeting was the last thing that I wanted to do right row.

God noticed my frustration and quickly said "Ah, let us take this someplace more quiet and secluded." I nodded eagerly and began to fly away.

"What about me?" Sara asked.

"Go and spread the word that Mia is unscathed and has returned." He commanded.

She muttered something unintelligible. I thought she said something along the lines of "Because no one has realized that yet and word won't spread quickly at all." Her voice dripped sarcasm. But she obeyed and turned to leave.

"Bye Mia. I'll talk to you tonight." She promised.

I nodded seriously and added "Don't worry about me. You'll probably see me before tonight anyway. Actually, no, you won't. I'll probably be sleeping." I said dryly.

She cracked a smiled before flying away. God ushered me into the castle and, as promised, into a quiet and secluded room which I hadn't known existed. "Where are we?" I asked, curious.

He shrugged. "Just one of the many rooms which is never used. Now, tell me what happened?"

I hesitated but answered him. He didn't exactly have to know but it was probably important that he did. "I went to the hill of ashes to meet Vlad and he was there waiting for me alone. I told him that we were considering his offer and that I wanted to know certain conditions. As he spoke about his 'offer', I realized that he had been lying all this time. When I questioned him on it I realized that it had always been only his plan and never the demons. I then started to worry and I began to back away from him. When he admitted that he was going to kidnap me, I flew away. But he was too quick, however, and stopped me before I could reach the portal."