The New Student

It was late September and Valleri was returning home

It was late September and Valleri was returning home. She didn't have a car yet so she had to walk home from school. Valleri Hope was in high school and wasn't apart of many things, she wasn't that popular. She had one best friend named Mary Thomas. They did everything together, but Mary was apart of band and they had practice today. As Valleri walked home she couldn't help think of her parents. They have been growing distant but not fighting. She knows about other kids' parents who have separated out of the blue, and she fears to have to choose between them, she loves them both. She didn't realize she was already in her neighborhood, she wonders how long she has been fretting. When she got to the house she listened before she opened the door, she wondered if she would hear fighting. She didn't. When she opened the door her mother was in the kitchen making dinner and her dad was helping his wife.

"Hey, mom. Hey, dad." She uttered trying to sound happy.

"Oh, hey sweetie! We're making your favorite!" Her mother said cheerfully.

"Spaghetti with garlic bread?" Valerie guessed.

"You got it!" Her dad said.

"How was school?" Her mom asked.

"Good, we're getting a new student tomorrow from Washington D.C.."

"Interesting." Her mother said.

"I gotta go study. See you at dinner."

"By sweetie."

She went upstairs to her room and started studying. After about an hour of studying she fell asleep. Her mother opened the door to get her for dinner. She giggled at the sight.

"Val? Valleri, wake up hon', It's time for dinner."

"Mom?" Valerie moaned, waking up. She had a red streak across her cheek from falling asleep on her binder.

"Come on."

"Can you just chill mine? I'll eat it tomorrow."

"Alright. Are you going to bed?"

"Yeah. I'll shower tomorrow morning."

"Alright. Goodnight. I love you."

"Night. Love you too."

After that her mother left her room. Valleri gathered her things together and reorganized them for tomorrow. She began looking for an outfit, she decided on a white floral dress with some tan flats. The outfit resembled to what a hippie would wear. She realized this and picked out a tan hair piece to go with it. She went to bed.

The next morning she woke up early to shower. When she got out she blow-dryed her hair and put on the outfit she picked out the previous night. She did her hair in a half up half down braid and put on the hair piece. She was amazed about how well she looked as a hippie. She went downstairs and kissed her parents goodbye and waited for the bus, which arrived early.

At school she met up with Mary. They talked about the new student, not knowing if it's a boy or girl or anything.

"So, I'm sure you heard about the new student coming from Washington D.C. Right?" Mary started.

"Yeah."

"I'm also sure you know how lonely you are?"

Mary had a boyfriend named Travis and they were inseparable. They have been together for two years.

"Mary..."

"I'm serious! If it's a boy I'm setting y'all up!"

"Alright! Fine!"

They went to Mrs. Eveners class, English, and sure enough the new kid was talking to her. He was tall with a hazel crew cut hairstyle. He was wearing a floral red and orange long sleeved shirt with tan stove pipe pants with a beaded necklace. His shoes were a dark tan color.

"He's kinda cute. Looks innocent." Mary whispered to Valleri.

"He is cute..."

"Y'all would be perfect!"

The new student turned around and went to return to his desk. His eyes were reddish brown.

"Go!" Mary whispered and pushed Valleri towards him.

"Hello. I'm Valleri Hope."

"Hi. Im Peter Tork."

"Hello, Peter," Valleri stopped realizing she already said hello. She tried to think of something to say, "so I hear You're from Washington?"

"Yeah. It's pretty groovy up there."

"Oh cool."

The teacher called for everyone to have a seat before the bell rung. The whole class period Valleri couldn't stop staring at Peter. The bell rang scaring Valleri. She thought about how long she's been daydreaming. She ran to catch up with Peter.

"Hey, uh, do you wanna do something this afternoon?" Valleri asked terrified of the answer.

"Sure. Can I come to your house?"

"Yes!" Valleri yelped.

"What time shall I swing by?"

"Umm. Around five."

"Cool. Your address?"

"Huh? Oh, right! I'll write it down for you. Here."

"Great. See ya there. Bye!"

"Bye, Peter!"

The rest of the day Valleri couldn't help but smile. When she got home she rushed to her room and curled her hair that wasn't braided. She remembered she had to tell her parents about him coming over.

"Mom! Dad! I invited the new kid over around five!"

"Alright, Val!" Her mother yelled back.

Five o'clock came soon enough, and the doorbell rang. Valleri's mother went to go get it.

"Hello, Mrs. Hope, I'm Peter. You have a lovely last name...and house! Wow!"

"Thank you, Peter! Come on in!"

Thank you Mrs. Hope."

"Please, call me Rachel."

"Oh, thank you. So is Mr. Hope here?"

"Don? No he's still at work. He took the late shift."

"Will we eat without him?"

"Yes."

"Oh, alright. Is Valleri here?"

"Yes."

Rachel called Valleri down.

"Hey, mo-," she stopped at the sight of Peter. She was in love. "Hey, Peter! I'm so glad you...could...make it..."

"As am I."

"Shall we eat?" Rachel suggested.

"Yes." Valleri agreed.

That night Peter was over for four hours.

"Oh, my. Look at the time! I better run. It's been nice meeting you. Maybe I can come over again sometime?" Peter acknowledged.

"That would be lovely!" Rachel agreed.

Valleri and Peter said goodbye, and he was off.

"Well that was just lovely!" Rachel said.

"Yeah...I better go to bed."

"Alright."