Chapter Five: Boring Movies and Treasure

------->Brooke

;)

Chapter Five: 

“Enlighten me,” I challenge. I’m lying on my couch, upside-down, with my feet dangling off the top and my head hanging off the cushions. The TV is on, but it’s on mute, and I’m clutching my cell phone in my right hand.

“Okay, so let’s say you’re just randomly driving down the road, and you see and old man, on the ground, passed out. Do you pull over and help out? Or just keep driving?” Eli asks.

I sit up straight, “What kind of question is that?”

“One you should answer so that I can prove my point,” he counters.

I sigh, but answer the question anyways. “Of course I would stop and help him,” I say.

“Good, now what would you do if he woke up and thought it was . . . 1944 and thought that World War II was still raging on. What would you do?”

I had to stop myself from laughing at the ridiculousness of the question. “Do I really have to answer that one?”

“Yes, you do. Now answer.”

“Okay, okay. I would try and explain to him that it was the twenty first century and try to get him home.”

“Perfect. See, you are smart.”

How does that prove that I’m smart?”

“Because Brooke, you have to think outside the box. Normal people would just drive by and act like they never saw anything,” he says.

“So what you’re trying to say is, I’m not normal?”

“No, no, no you’re totally missing the point—,” but I cut his insane rambling off.

“So I’ll meet you at your house around nine for the movie?” I ask.

I’m greeted by silence at first, which only makes me roll my eyes. “Yeah, sure,” and with that, I hang up.

It’s been two weeks since our date at the coffee shop and mine and Eli’s relationship has only grown stronger. I feel like I’ve known him for forever. We talk on the phone almost every night and when we don’t, we usually hang out the whole day afterwards, anyways. No, he’s not made any other move besides a friendly one, except for the occasional hand holding. And it only makes me respect him more for wanting to take it slow.

But there is something inside me, that wants so much more, but I’m afraid that if I try anything, he’s going to think I’m totally crazy.

I jump up off of the couch and take a shower in order to get ready for our movie date tonight. Just a normal, regular, movie date . . .

“Brooke, watch this.” I hear Eli whisper on the side of me. We are sitting in the movie theatre, and are both incredibly bored. The movie is terrible. Of course, I blame Eli for picking the show, but he refuses saying he thought I said that I wanted to see it.

There are few other people in the theatre. Other couples mostly. Eli takes a handful of popcorn and chucks it at the poor couple who decided to sit so close to us two.

The popcorn hits the couple and they both turn around to look for the culprit. Eli and I both turn back to the movie immediately and pretend to be enthralled in it. Once the couple looks away, we try to keep our laughter contained, but fail miserably.

The couple turns back around and they both give us death glares, which only makes us laugh harder. When they turn around, I stick my tongue out at the back of their heads and Eli clutches his stomach in trying to be quiet.