Chapter Six: Nights Alone

Chapter Six:

“Help! Someone please! Help me!” she shouts. The man with the axe closes in on the lady. She’s begging for her life, but the man keeps coming closer.

My hands are shaking and I’m preparing to let out a scream, but I manage to hold it in until it’s needed.

“Don’t please, no!” the lady yells.

The man chooses this time to raise his red axe. The lady lets out one more ear-shattering scream before the axe cuts her head clean off.

This is when I choose to scream.

Eli is killing himself laughing by the time I’m finished screaming. I scowl at him, “It’s not funny! I so told her to not go in the room, but she insisted!”

He takes a breath. “Oh yeah, you totally told her,” he says sarcastically.

I cross my arms and look down. I’m still sitting on the couch, with Eli by my side. His parents and Laynee went to Jen’s sister’s house for the weekend, so we’re all alone here. He chose to watch a scary movie at his house for this date, no matter how many times I refused. It went a little like this.

“Hey Brooke, you wanna watch a scary movie?” Eli asks me.

I shake my head. “No, I don’t do scary movies.”

“Please, can we watch a scary movie?”

“No,”

“Please,”

“No!”

“Please!”

“NO!”

“….please?” He chooses to turn the puppy dog eyes on me. He knows I can’t resist those blue eyes.

I let out a frustrated sigh, “Fine.”

He could be such a kid sometimes.

I refuse to look at Eli, afraid that he’ll laugh some more. Just when I think he’s stopped, I turn to look at him, which of course makes him break out into another fit of laughter. I scowl and scoot over on the couch to where there is now a big gap between us.

“Aw, come on, Brooke. Don’t be mad,” he pleads, trying to control his laughter. I just keep my eyesight in front of me and pretend he’s not there.

Just when I think I’m winning and he’s about to apologize, I feel long fingers dig into my side. I immediately start laughing. “No, Eli. Please, stop!” I beg, but he continues to tickle me.

“Will you still be mad?” he asks.

“Yes!” I shout. But this only makes him press harder.

“Will you still be mad?” he repeats.

I try to catch my breath, but fail miserably. So I give in, “NO!”

The tickling stops and I breathe in deeply. I turn to give Eli my deadliest look, when I remember I’m not supposed to be mad at him.

He is smiling, knowingly, at me, which only makes my anger grow. Despite the fact that I was just laughing, I’m frowning now. “Don’t do that,” I tell him.

“Do what?” he asks innocently.

“Take advantage of me when you know how ticklish I am.”

He fake pouts. “Aw, I’m sorry, Brooke.”

I sigh, as if making a difficult decision. “Its fine I guess.”

I feel strong arms engulf me in a hug and I bury my face in his chest. “Good,” he mumbles. We stay like this for a few moments before he pulls away. “Well, I better take you home now,” he says.