Chapter Seven: The Truth

Okay, this chapter is a VERY important one. It's also very emotional. 

I'll admit that i DID cry while writing it :'(

But it's all good. ;)

~Allison <3

Chapter Seven:

It’s been several days since I’ve heard from Eli. And I’m getting worried. It’s the beginning of July and I’ve spent a whole month with him.

The last time I saw him was a week ago when he dropped me off at my house after I spent the night at his. Not one phone call, or text. I’ve even went to his house, but Jen said that he had the flu.

I’ve left dozens of texts and voicemails. No answer.

It’s had me in a bad mood this whole time. So, I’ve decided to call Zeke. “Hey, Z,” I say, trying to cover up my mood.

“Uh-oh. What’s wrong, B?” he asks. It didn't work . . .

I smile for the first time in a while at how well he knows me. “Nothing, Z. I’m fine,” I answer.

“B, come on. Do you honestly think that’s going to work?”

I sigh, “Fine. It’s Eli.”

Silence. “What’s he done?” I can hear the stiffness in his voice. He’s trying to control himself.

“Nothing!” I rush to say. If Zeke gets mad at him, no telling what’s going to happen. “He’s just been . . . distant, lately.”

“How distant?”

I hesitate, counting the days. “It’s been about a week,” I answer.

“Well, do you know why he’s been . . . distant?”

I shake my head, even though I know he can’t see it. “Dunno. His mom says he has the flu . . . but don’t you think that he could at least call? Telling me that he can’t talk for a while or something? It makes me wonder how bad this ‘flu’ actually is. If that’s even what’s wrong.”

“Why wouldn’t it be what’s wrong with him?”

“It’s just not like him, Zeke. He’d have called by now, or texted. Instead he’s been ignoring me, leaving me to worry.”

Zeke says, “B, why don’t you just go over to see him. No matter what his mom says, go to him. Fight through. I know you can do it. You certainly fight with me too much.” He adds the last part in quietly.

I smile. “Yeah. But I don’t want to intrude or anything . . .”

“Brooke, please. You don’t want to intrude? I didn’t even know you knew what that word meant—,” he teased.

“Shut up,” I mumble.

“—it’s not like you to think about things like that. Just go ahead with your gut feeling. Do what feels right.”

I hold my breath, and then let it out slowly. “You’re right. You’re totally right. Thank you, Z.”

I can practically see the smile on his face when he says, “I know.”

I bang on the door as hard as I can. I’m standing on Eli’s front porch, determined and worried at the same time, which can’t be a good combination. Someone better let me into this house before I break in . . .

The door finally swings open to a very tired, worn out looking Jen. I falter, the sight of this kind, gentle woman looking so wounded stops me.

“Brooke?”