one

chapter one
evelyn

i walk alongside my best friend jessica as we find a seat near the front of the drive-in instead of sitting around in her car. the summer breeze made it feel great out, so we decided to sit outside.

i felt an arm wrap around my shoulders and i furrow my eyebrows and look over to see a boy with dark slicked back hair and a big smirk on his face. i recognized the boy from school, but i didn't really know him.

"get off of me." i roll my eyes, making him chuckle as i cross my arms.

"oh, c'mon, sweetheart. don't be rude."

"you heard me. just leave us alone." i say as i finally get his arm off of me.

"leave her be, jack." i hear a deep voice mumble, but 'jack' just rolls his eyes.

i turn around to see ethan dolan, a boy i knew from school, clutching some popcorn in his hand.

"whatever." jack scoffs before stuffing his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket.

he slowly comes closer to me and eventually had his arm around me and his lips close to my neck.

"get away from me." i push his shoulder harshly, making a string of curse words angrily leave his mouth.

he quickly got up and stomped off, angry he couldn't win me over like every other girl in school. i bit my lip to keep myself from laughing as i watched him have his little tantrum.

"i'm really sorry about him." i hear ethan's soft voice from behind me.

"oh, it's alright," i say, "it's not your fault anyways."

"you shouldn't hang around with a dick like
him, ethan." jess says as she laughs, the pink braces that covered her teeth showing.

"well, jack's a real nice guy when you get to know him." he says.

"i wouldn't want to know him." i shrug.

"gray and i have been friends with him for a while, so we know him real well."

"where is your brother anyway?" jessie asks curiously as she plays with her long blonde hair.

"he just went to grab some soda."

i play with my fingers while my eyes are glued to the large screen playing a movie i had lost track of. i had no clue what was happening in the movie and i didn't really care.

"here." i hear a deep, but quiet voice speak and i turn around to see grayson sit next to ethan as he hands him a soda.

i send him a small smile and he does the same before i turn back around. i feel jess nudge my arm as she giggles quietly making me roll my eyes playfully.

"gray, you know evelyn and jessie." ethan says as he introduces us to his twin.

i could tell that grayson's dark brown hair was greased slightly. he wore a grey sweatshirt with his cuffed jeans.

"hi." he raised his hand to wave at us shyly, making us giggle.

"hey, aren't you in my third period?" i ask as i think about how the boy sits behind me in that class.

he nods as i laugh softly before turning to my best friend.

"where's jack?" i hear grayson ask his brother, making me wanna roll my eyes.

"he just- he had to leave." ethan lied.

"jess, i'll be right back. i wanna grab some popcorn." i say as i stand up and grab my bag. she nods and i start to walk off before i felt a hand on my shoulder.

"i'll go too, if you don't mind," grayson spoke up as he took his hand off my shoulder, "i-i forgot to get some popcorn."

"okay, let's go." i smile as he leads me to the small building where they sold snacks and drinks for the movie.

"grayson?" i asked softly, trying to get his attention.

"why do you guys hang out with him?" i ask curiously, referring to jack.

i watched as he grabbed two popcorns and walked down the line towards the cashier.

"jack? he's a good guy, y'know. you just don't know him like i do." he mutters.

"sorry," i apologize, feeling bad because i knew they're good friends, "he can just be a pain in the ass."

"don't worry about him, evelyn." he sighs as he pulls out a few dollars from his pocket.

i start to search my purse to pay for mine, but he quickly stops me, "i've got it."

i simply nod and mumble a thank you as he hands me my popcorn and we start walking back towards our seats.

when the movie came to an end, i waved goodbye my best friend, telling her that i'd just walk home because it wasn't too far away.

"are you sure? i don't mind giving you a ride home."

"it's okay." i chuckle and wave to her one last time as she walked to her car.

"hey, do you have a ride home?" grayson walks over and furrows his eyebrows as he watches jessie leave.

"i don't live too far, so i'm just gonna walk." i shrug.

"well, let me walk you home. it's dark and not safe, you know." he grins softly and i chuckle.

"thank you." i smile.

"i'm walking evelyn home, ethan!" he yells to his brother, "i'll be home soon!"

"okay!" i see his twin smirk and grayson shake his head as he chuckles.

grayson places his hand on the small of my back as we walk down the dark sidewalk.

"you aren't cold, are you?" he asks and i look up to see him looking down at me with concern.

"oh, no. i'm okay, thank you." i shake my head as i play with the hem of my sweater.

"i was just making sure." he smiles.

we arrive in front of my house and i tuck a loose strand of my hair behind my ear.

"thanks for walking me home, grayson." i bite my lip softly.

"no problem." he grins, "i'll see you at school tomorrow, yea?"

i quickly nod as i wave him goodbye before walking up to my door. the front door was unlocked, so i walked right inside before running up to my room.

-

this is shit sorry

pls don't forget to leave comments!! tell me what you think!!

ily