Prologue

After the success of an expedition, with a new built base outside the walls for the use of future needs, the Survey Corps came home with heads held high. Much to everybody's surprise and and relief, no deaths have been recorded, though a lot of soldiers returned heavily injured. Still, everybody rejoiced at coming home whole.

In celebration, Smith arranged a feast for all of Survey Corps. Platters and platters of food was served, with meat this time, causing Sasha to go wild that Connie had to hold her down before she lunges herself at the tables filled with mouthwatering food. Everybody toasted at their success, raising their beer-filled mugs.

All gathered at the mess hall, obnoxious laughs and loud chatters filling the room. Though the noise wasn't as loud outside, the sound slightly muffled by the building's walls.

Up the stairs and in one of the rooms, one still chose to stay away from the ongoing celebration, isolated in her room with her fingers gripping a pen that wrote flawlessly on a white crisp paper. Gears turned in her head, reminiscing of the events that happened on the expedition as she wrote it in exact detail on the parchment.

Hanji adjusted her glasses, her tension easing up as she wrote the final sentence.

''Regarding the success of this mission, humanity has took another step towards victory.''

She heaved a sigh, placing down her pen and stretching her arms above her head. She took off her glasses for a moment, wallowing in the relief that she rarely experienced.

Her chestnut brown eyes suddenly caught an image of herself at a nearby mirror. She narrowed her eyes at the  mess she called her hair. Honestly, she rarely cared for tidiness since she is focused mainly on work, and work, and more work. But now, since Erwin demanded that everybody should take a rest from all those stress, she finally got to notice the flaws in her appearance.

Without thinking it through, she reached up and tugged away the band that ties up her brown hair. The wild mess immediately dropped down to her shoulders at the sudden release.

She used her fingers to tame the brown locks, successfully straightening some stray strands.

Now it evidently looked more tidied up.

She stared at the mirror, registering the image of a stranger. She looked slightly different with her hair down and glasses off, much to her surprise.

Absently, she tugged a strand behind her ear, stuck in a trance at her strange looks.

'You look absolutely bizarre, Hanji.' A voice in her head said.

At this, she snapped from her trance.

"Weirdo." She muttered under her breath. She took the band once again and began pull up her hair to tie it back.

"You should keep it down often."

She froze.

Instinctively, she turned to the doorway where she assumed the voice came from. She was about to stand but halted when she saw a patch of jet black hair . . . and the height.

"Levi!" She raised her eyebrows at him, dropping her arms as she momentarily forgot about her hair. "What are you doing here?"

Hanji noticed that Levi wasn't wearing his brown jacket, leaving his top in his white button up shirt with rolled up sleeves and his usual white cravat.

"I should be asking you the same question." Levi shot back.

The woman instinctively stood, taking the paper she wrote on before hiding it inside a drawer. "I was just finishing up a report, that's all. And you?"

"Bored out of my wits."

"So you came to my room because you had nothing to do?" Hanji raised an eyebrow.

"I was just passing by when I saw your door slightly ajar. Didn't think I'd find you still here inside."

"Why so?"

Levi rolled his eyes. "Tch. Normally, you'd be down there right now, drinking and talking to people about your experiments even if they don't give a shit about those."

At the mention of 'experiment', Hanji absently tapped her pocket, feeling the small vial of liquid she had kept. She inwardly smirked.

"Oi. You've grown suspiciously silent there." Levi growled, immediately putting his guard up.

"Oh, it's nothing! I just spaced out for a moment." Hanji waved dismissively at him.

The Captain rolled his eyes. "Come on. The celebration's not over yet. That damn eyebrows would go looking for us once he find that we're missing."

Hanji didn't protest. She quickly put on her glasses and immediately stepped out of the room with Levi waiting outside. She raised her hands again to pull her hair up in a ponytail. Yet before she could even secure the tie, her hands were harshly slapped away with the hair tie being snatched in the process.

"H-hey!" She turned to the raven as he kept away the stretchy band in his pocket.

"I said you should keep it down, dimwit." He glared at her.

"But Levi--"

"No."

And with that, the man walked forward ahead of her, causing Hanji to follow behind and pester him about giving her tie back, which he kept declining to.

~~~~~~~~~~