•- 3 -•

CHAPTER 3
Who Is To Blame?

"Squad Leader."

"Squad Leader!"

"Squad Leader Hanji,"

"Hanji-san!"

The scientist immediately snapped out of her trance at the last call that finally managed to reach her ears. She turned to her dark haired subordinate, who had been trying to get her attention for the past six minutes.

"What is it, Moblit?"

The man sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping. "The Commander calls for a brief meeting, Squad Leader."

Now it was Hanji's turn to sigh, not really in the mood. What does he want now?

She reluctantly stood from her seat before exiting the lab, leaving Moblit with an order to put the laboratory apparatuses back to their shelves.

~•°*°•~

"Good morning~" Hanji yawned, bringing up a fist in a lazy salute at the Commander. Erwin, who had been sipping tea, nearly spitted out the beverage in his mouth at the bursting appearance of the scientist and only gave a firm nod in response.

The woman lazily stretched her arms, plopping herself down on a seat in front of the Commander's desk. "So, what's today's agenda?"

Erwin intertwined his hands behind him formally, leaving his beverage down on the table. "We'll have a discussion about the plan regarding Eren's travel to Shiganshina, and the sealing of Wall Maria."

The woman yawned again out of boredom, crossing her arms behind her head. "It's back to the real world, then."

Erwin glanced at the Squad Leader, his eyes filled with slight suspicion. Almost immediately, his head drifted back to last night's occurrence.

"Levi's not with you?"

This caught the Squad Leader off guard. At the dreaded mention of the Corporal, her shoulders reactively tensed for a moment at the sudden change of subject, and the blonde leader didn't miss this.

"N-no." Her fingers fumbled with her bangs, tucking away a stray strand that blocked her eye sight. "Why do you ask?"

The man turned to the window, gazing out at the fields filled with training soldiers. "You were the last person Levi was with yesterday night, correct?"

Hanji suddenly found the tiny dents on the desk interesting, her upbeat mood stripped away in the blink of an eye. "My memories of last night were unfortunately quite hazy, so I don't really remember much."

That wasn't entirely a lie. What truly happened the other night didn't really appear clear in her head, leaving her with only tiny pieces of the puzzle. But still, those small flashbacks gave her an obvious clue of what really occurred when both the Captain and her were disoriented.

Something entirely wrong.

For a few moments, the Commander was silent, as if he was slightly reluctant to speak. Then, he suddenly grew even more humorless, turning to the woman. "Tell me honestly, Zoë." The scientist froze. Erwin never calls her by her last name, unless it regards to something critically serious. She hesitantly looked up at the man's sharp blue eyes, and inwardly cursed when she remembered that she wasn't wearing her glasses. The man narrowed his eyes earnestly. "Did something happen between you and the Lance Corporal last night?"