•- 7 -•

CHAPTER 7
Fly And Fall

A month later...

Has riding ever been this nauseating?

Hanji blinked as the wind harshly blew past by the minute their horses began running out of the opened gate. The usual scenery welcomed them as they ran out, immediately filing out towards the formation. The fresh, cool breeze eventually calmed down the brunette's nerves, effectively pushing her queasiness to the back of her mind. A red flare suddenly went up to the sky a few moments later, and Hanji's hand immediately took hold of the hilt of her blade, seeing as the sudden flare was somewhat close to their position.

~•°*°•~

"You have gotta be kidding me."

The scientist looked up...or looked down, rather, as footsteps suddenly neared them from behind a nearby trunk. She immediately brightened up when she recognized who it was.

"Levi!"

The Captain, on the contrary, was not very pleased when he found Humanity's Smartest hanging suspended in the air with her left leg caught in a tangle of wires that were wrapped around a sturdy branch. His eyebrows furrowed, his glare not leaving Hanji's figure for a second.

"I don't even want to ask how you got to be like this." He grumbled, taking a step away from the tree the brunette was stuck to.

But, regardless of his statement, Hanji babbled on.

"Y'know? I'm not even certain myself. I mean, one second I was soaring through the air like a specially aberrant titan, and next I find myself already entangled here. It's not like I don't like it here because honestly, the view's actually pretty great. It's rare to see the world from a reversed perspective. But even so, I'm not really sure how it happened. Maybe I aimed at the wro—wha, hey!"

Levi paused on his way out, turning to face her with a raised eyebrow.

"Aren't you going to help me down, shorty?"

Irked by the nickname, he shot back. "You're too high, Four Eyes. I can't reach it."

Hanji chortled in a not so womanly way—but seriously, when has the Hanji Zoe ever even done something in a more 'feminine' way? "HA! You finally admitted it, shortstack! But still, that's besides the—hey wait!" She glared at the retreating back of the Captain, wishing she had something in her grasp to throw at his head.

Levi looked back at her flatly. "What?"

She frowned. "Never mind."

The man raised a thin eyebrow. Now that was weird. Normally she would keep on persuading him for his help.

Even Hanji herself was confused. Mood swings? The brunette paused, instantly shaking off the thought. Pfft, hilarious.

She began pulling herself up, struggling to be in level with her hanging leg. If she wasn't getting any help then so be it. Stretching her arm to reach the branch, she eventually pulled herself over it, sighing in content once she settled on top of it. Her breath just slightly hitched when the branch gave a small sound in complaint. Guess it wasn't sturdy enough to hold up this much weight after all.

She sadly glanced at her gear, already knowing that it cannot be used anymore. It seems that she'd have to wait for help to come then, praying that no titan would be able to smell her out. She fished out a small dagger she hid behind her belt, sticking it to the wire before cutting it little by little, soon successfully freeing her leg from the tangles.