~Rangiku & Toshiro~

Aizen was gone. Aizen Sosuke was defeated. Toshiro noted with grim satisfaction. Weakly, he peered at Hinamori and let out a shuddering sigh when he found her breathing steadily. He watched silently as the 4th Division members came and took her away along with Matsumoto and the others.

Toshiro stood up weakly and looked up. Despite the faint cheers, the morose in the air was heavier.

The outraged yet oddly broken roar of Kurosaki is still fresh in his mind and even Toshiro had flinched at the tone. He has never heard the other like that. And he faintly remembers him screaming about avenging Inoue Orihime. He had been heavily injured during then, so he was still unsure of how the battle went.

If Toshiro was honest, Kurosaki sounded rather inhuman; like a beast.

Avenging Inoue... He swallowed. Toshiro is no fool; he knows what Kurosaki meant. And he can guess how he felt... He glanced back at the Hinamori once before looking away, sighing heavily.

Toshiro was there when it was firstly announced that Inoue might've been killed or taken away. He saw his reaction. He saw Kuchiki and Abarai's reactions.

Toshiro once lived with Inoue Orihime. For a few days... She lived alone. She smiled bright, even brighter than Hinamori. She was kind. She was brave. She was gentle. Toshiro knew Inoue would've not betrayed her friends; she was too pure. Inoue was kidnapped and Toshiro already knew Kurosaki and his friends would not sit still.

Frankly speaking, he can't feel happy either. This was a war; he should've expected death. That's how it always went. But... He has never even thought about Inoue being gone. The main reason why they went there was destroyed.

He felt empty.

And he didn't want to think what her friends are feeling right now.

Toshiro then clenched his fists, letting out another shuddering sigh.

"...How am I going to tell this to Matsumoto?"

He whispered and let the medical members take him to Soul Society, with a rather heavy heart.

So much for victory.

*****

The next day.

"Captain! You're healed already?" Rangiku chirped cheerily, smiling at her Captain who stood by her door.

"Somewhat." He replied slowly, as he stepped into his office, raising an eyebrow at the small pack of paperwork. She beamed at him, looking proud.

"Good, aren't I?"

Rangiku noticed how unfocused her Captain was. He looked stressed, drained and... She frowned.

"As I expected, aren't you too early off bed?" She asked and Toshiro blinked once before shrugging.

"I am fine." He said sternly and Rangiku noticed his tone. She rose her eyebrows and Toshiro avoided eye-contact. Which was odd and rare.

"Is...everything okay?"

"Yes---and no."

Rangiku was confused.

"Why? What happened?"

Toshiro then sighed heavily, tense shoulders slumping down.

"No one told you yet."

A fact. About what? Before she ask, Toshiro carefully looked at her in the eyes.

"...About Inoue."

Immediately, Rangiku was worried and she stood up from her seat.

"Was she injured terribly? Or did she lose her power like Ichigo? Did she--"

She snapped her mouth shut at the single pointed look her Captain gave. But she was still concerned.

"She..." Toshiro hesitated, she could see it. He glanced away from her, clearing his throat. She knows this gesture. Usually people do this when... "...She... Look, we all know Aizen is a cruel man---"

"No..." She breathed out.

Toshiro looked at her with sadness or pity, she doesn't know, she doesn't care.

"...Kurosaki and the others..." He paused, pursing his lips, clenching his fists as if speaking was physically painful. Perhaps it was. "...was...too late..."

Rangiku slumped down into the seat once more with so much force, cupping her mouth.

No... Not sweet sweet Orihime... Not that bright Orihime... Not that kind, caring, brave, gentle Orihime...

She did not notice she was crying until a sob escaped her throat.

"W-Who...?" She croaked weakly. "...Aizen? It was---"

"Yes. Or I assume so." He replied quietly.

Rangiku squeezed her eyes shut and cried silently. She felt a gentle hand lend on her back and she knew it was her Captain.

"W-Why...? Why is life so unfair?!" She suddenly snapped, weeping. "Why is it taking...taking people away from me?!"

First Captain Shiba left her. Then Gin. Three times. And now...

"...I can't say I will be here forever. But, for now, I am here..."

Rangiku turned around and wrapped her arms around his waist, sobbing. He loosely wrapped his arms around her head and let her...

[Written by: Adm. Lady Victoria
Isn't she talented *^*?!!!]