Backwaters

Walking past the trees that lined the street, she could feel the warmth around her. It was a beautiful sunny day; rare to see so much of sunlight in the town of Riverfalls where it rains for almost 6 months round the year.

"Looking beautiful." Becca turned back to see her best friend Crystal come out of her house which was just a block away from Becca's. Crystal was dressed in a short pink dress with small pastel peach roses lined around the sleeves.

Being with her best friend always felt so good, so comfortable and safe. They both were childhood friends, went to the same school and now took admission together in the Riverfalls high school.

Walking past the street flooded with people absorbing the enchanting atmosphere, they reached the cafe to meet their friends.

There sat Mark and Edward at the corner table enjoying coffee. Crystal hurriedly sat next to Edward and ordered her favourite cheese sandwich. I took a seat near Mark and ordered my usual coffee.

"It's been two weeks since I saw you. Where have you been?" Mark asked Becca with a hint of concern in his voice.

"..And you missed our football match" said Edward, giving a angry look.

"Yea, I was babysitting Ryan past week and of course not to miss granny's  cooking lessons!" She said with a smirk.
"Sorry for not attending that match" Becca added, to which Edward did not react.

"Where is Jane?" Crystal asked.
"Will join us at the backwaters with Edith." Mark stated.

They all were childhood buddies, except Edith, " best boyfriend " as stated by Jane. Nobody thought about him the same way though!

After they finished, they left the cafe for backwaters. Becca sat behind Mark as usual and Crystal sat behind Edward. Becca always felt Crystal was drawn to Edward. She could see it in her eyes. But Crystal never confessed it. Maybe she herself was not so sure about it.

The cool breeze at the back waters felt so beautiful. There were such rare times when it naturally felt good, without taking efforts to feel that way!

Later Jane and Edith joined them too. Janes face was glowing with a broad smile and Edith carrying a stoned expression with the bad boy look. He carried that aura of a player around him. That was one reason why he was never on the good side of anybody.

Becca and Crystal simply sat there on the grass, looking at the calm flowing water. Serene atmosphere absorbed with the scent of fresh woods of the pine trees surrounding the place.

That's when Crystal asked," Are you fine now?"
"Yes" Becca said with a simple nod, feeling blank from inside because of the lie she just said.