Chapter 31

Arohi's pov

Present

My hands were trembling as if they could never stop there weird dance, my legs had all of a sudden lost their strength to hold me up.

The more I stared ahead, the more violently my heart would beat.

It was as if I was on the first day of my internship and I had to operate my very first patient.

I had never thought that me – one of the finest cardiologists would come in a situation like this.

I took a step ahead, the weight of my lab coat and stethoscope felt so heavy tonight.

And for the first time in all these years, I doubted myself and my abilities.

"Dr Arohi, I hope that you are fine?" one of the nurse asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I am fine sister, thank you." I replied with a smile.

Giving me a final glance the nurse walked from there on her duty.

Leaving me all alone in front of this ICU room!

To face something, whose existence I had never thought had been there in my life.

'You need to do this Arohi, for her!' I reminded myself and with a deep breath opened the door.

The smell of medicine which I had got used to greeted me, but that didn't made me want to vomit and at the same time curl up in a ball and cry, but the way that person was sleeping there surely did.

Till now I have seen many people sleeping on this bed, or more to in a similar conditions, we still laugh, have fun and even if for some time if we ever get attached to them, then after sometime surely overcome those sentimental feelings which would make us week.

But as soon as it is someone we know, someone who might had been so important if he wasn't here, someone whom we or someone we loved would have cherished, the story changes, the hell breaks loose and the pain that shoots through our heart which doesn't have any medicine, is unbearable.

I walked slowly and steadily walked ahead near the cot and took out the table and sat on it still looking at the unconscious person lying over there.

We have so many people in our life, some are the ones who are like our necessity, if they are not there then our life would have been impossible and some are like our breath, and we know that they are there and may be important but we don't even realize that they were even there around us.

And similar was this idiot lying in front of me.

Sameer!

We were in the same junior college, we weren't those best friends and all, but yeah he was the one to help me out in math class, the only class which I had to attend all alone.

He would help me with math and I would help him with food, something he was very fond of and the very thing which Arjun didn't like even a bit about him.

"I had asked you to meet me on Saturday, you never showed up Sameer! Where were you?" I asked my voice, so soft as if I would cry out the very next moment if I would raise it even a bit.

I cleared my throat, may be that bile which had rose in my throat and then talked with him. For god knows how long.

But for sure after 10 long years!

"see here are your reports, remember you had asked me to give you a free treatment once I would become a doctor, so here you are Mr. Sameer and your heart at my mercy!"