Chapter 22

Emma's POV

The question that would chose who would be the champion was 'Why?'

Why?

This didn't seem fair.

"When you're ready, Emma," Forest said. Now I was thrilled that he knew my name, but I was so dumb founded that the final question would be so all at once simple yet hard, I was at a loss for words. 

"It doesn't have to be a long answer," the other boy in the room said. "We just want to know your thoughts on the subject."

At those words my brain began working again. My thoughts went to the first packet with the secret instructions. 100% on directions.

"Because." I answered and stood up, not noticing the grin on the two boys' faces asI went to the door.

---------

Forest's POV

When Emma left the room Chris turned his grinning face to mine. "Finally." 

---------

Emma's POV

The last boy went in a few seconds after I came out and everyone started talking at once, after being given the okay from the principal. Brett came over to me.

"Did they ask you 'why?'" He asked immediantly.

"Yeah, what'd you say?" I answered, not feeling confident at all.

"I took it as a 'why do you think you're the best candidate'? You know, so I just spoke about why I though I could thrive in the situation they had given us at the beginning of the contest." Brett said, his smirk apparent as usual. "What'd you say?"

My stomach clenched up again, Brett's idea had been a good one, what if my course of answering the question was totally off base? "Oh, I don't really remember, there was so much adrenaline going through my system--"

"Well, I feel really confident, I asked the teachers when the results would come out and they said we would have to wait a whole week so Forest and Chris could go over the results from all of the sections," Brett continued, probably not even hearing my answer, "A whole week, I don't know how I'll be able to wait that long!"

I forced a smile, winning wasn't everything this didn't matter that much in ther long run, besides, I had made it this far, I could be happy with my progress.

The last boy came out of the room followed by Forest and the other boy, Chris as I had just been reminded by Brett. The two grinned at all of us and Forest spoke.

"Thank you all again for competing!" He said, "And good luck, results will be sent out in a week, which I hear is also finals," he winked, "good luck on those too."

The principal then ushered us up and out of the room with a, "Mr. Johnston has a lot to think about and do, congratulations on making it this far, and good luck on the results," and before I knew it we were all outside and my mom was waving to me with a huge grin on her face.

That night I went out for dinner with my family to celebrate me making it to the final round, I recieved many scream texts from Rebecca with the general message of: "OMG YOU MET HIM" "I HATE YOU" "TAKE ME TO MEET HIM NEXT TIME" "OMG YOU'RE GONNA WIN AND THEN WE'LL ALL BE ABLE TO LIVE ON THE MOON BECAUSE YOU'LL BE FREAKING RICH" "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

The next week would be crazy.