Chapter 39

Emma's POV

Harper appeared by Landon's side and I jumped slightly. He seemed to just appear and disappear so quickly. Just like his chocolate...

"Hey team," Harper said, his orange vest glinting in the sunlight.

"The coolest team," Landon said and the boys high fived, I smiled rolling my eyes.

Alison sent me a pout and mouthed 'I'm sorry' I just gave her a wave. Gerald seeing this waved back grinning, "Bye Emma!" he yelled as Forest, Alison and he started off towards the group with a big sign with '3' painted on it. I cringed at the yell, but he had already turned away and started chatting with Alison.

I turned back to my new 'cool team' to find Landon's eyes watching my departing friends with one raised eyebrow. Harper was pulling out a packet of m&ms to eat. "Should we go?" I asked. Harper agreed by dumping the chocolate into his mouth and throwing the wrapper into his trash bag. Landon nodded faintly like he was far away then shook his head and flashed me a smile and turned towards the group with a '4' sign. Harper and I plodded through the sand after him.

Our group was going down the beach only a little to the section we would be cleaning. Some of the other groups had four wheelers and other means of transport to get down the length of the beach, but since ours was close enough we were going to walk. We set out and quickly found out that not many of the other people in our group spoke English very well, that left me and Harper at a disadvantage not having a good grip on the language. Landon knew enough to get by, this coupled with his good looks was enough to attract a small group of the younger girls in the group to walk beside us.

Harper got along with the small gaggle of girls who had congregated around Landon by offering up the rest of his chocolate stash. It was hot enough that it would melt if he wasn't careful with it. I, on the other hand, was left stuck in between the two boys only understanding snippets of the conversation. Walking in the sand was tough work, and I was very thankful when we reached our part of the beach.

Our group leader explained what we were going to be doing in Spanish to the group as a whole then came over to us three. We were going to be using sifting devices that rolled across the sand and picked up anything that wasn't sand. Landon volunteered us to be a part of the people who would take full sheets and bring new ones.

I tightened my pony tail and put on some gloves following Landon and Harper towards the filters. This will be interesting, especially when Landon was grinning mischievously.