Pale Blue Memories

If Angsty Past Connie x Reiner isn't your thing, turn back now, or give it a try :)

As he looked upon the ocean, Connie left awe rise in his chest to throat. It was so beautiful and blue, it stretched on for miles and miles, he couldn't see anything past it. The sun above made the water turn to a pale shade of glistening blue along the waves.

Pale blue...

Connie had to hold back a sigh. Things had been just fine before everything went to hell. It wasn't great, no, but it was fine, just good enough for Connie.

He still had memories.

Memories of a deep sincere voice asking to hug him tightly after the first venture out of the walls. Large, roughly calloused hands that held his face ever so gently in its grasp. Soft but chapped lips that never hesitated to litter sweet kisses over him in the dead of night as everyone slept.

Memories were all he had these days. And Sasha of course. Sasha was his best friend in this hellish world. She knew nearly everything about him. Everything except him. He could never bring himself to tell anyone after the betrayal.

He shouldn't have replied so lightly when he had asked him the little question. It was random and curious, the outside cool and brisk with the moon hanging over them, the only light out there.

"You love me right?" Connie had been struck by surprise by the question. He wouldn't have let him so close if he didn't.

"Yeah, I guess so." Connie smiled a bit.

"So...You'd be by my side no matter what right?" He'd asked. Connie had sensed the paranoia in his tone.

"Sure. But that means you have to do the same for me." Connie chuckled. He had only given a strained smile.

"Okay. I'll try my best." The were silent after that, only the wind and shaking leaves disturbing them.

Connie was jolted back to reality by Sasha.

"Come on Connie, let's go play in the ocean!" Sasha said excitedly, pulling him off his horse and towards the water.

He laughed at her antics. The pain wasn't gone yet, but it was healing. One day, he'd probably see him again. But that was the future, and he was in the present now. So for now he'd enjoy himself with his friends.

Until then Reiner...

Reiner opened his eyes for a moment, staring at the ceiling as he clenched his fist tightly above him, as if grasping for something.

"You're a liar...But I guess I am too Connie." He swallowed down his emotion and turned his head towards an empty bed. "But I did it for Bert...Who did you do it for?" Reiner gritted his teeth to stop himself from crying.

Don't cry for someone who breaks a promise...

Connie helped Sasha throw Jean into the water. He seemed to dislike the saltiness. Connie couldn't help but grin as he looked upon the squad. Reiner might be gone, but he still had others.

Jean tackled him down out of his daze and he laughed, his clothes soaked.

I'm happy.

END