Part IV: BANG!

"You fixed my window," Eli said setting down a hot cup of coffee in front of Matthew. He didn't even bother to pretend like he didn't know it had been Matthew.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Matthew said, because apparently, he did want to pretend he hadn't done anything. Eli just gave him an annoyed look.

"Yeah right," he said. "You're the only person creepy enough to fix someone's window in the middle of the night, you damn stalker."

"Really Eli, you wound me," Matthew said with a look of fake hurt. "And should you really talk like that here?" Matthew looked around, trying to see if anyone was listening.

It was a quiet Saturday, with Michael having a day off and Wendy taking over for him. She wasn't paying attention to them though, being too busy tending to a young man who decided to order an absurdly complicated drink. Eli would have felt sorry for Wendy if he hadn't caught her texting so many times already while he tried to work through the lunchtime rush.

On the other side of the shop there was a student working on something on his laptop with music blaring into his ears through his headphones. It was so loud Eli could hear it from where he stood. A couple sat in a corner, acting disgustingly affectionate. Eli shook his head and turned back to look at Matthew.

"I seriously doubt anyone cares," he said. "Really though, stop being a creeper." With that, Eli turned and walked off to where Wendy was attempting to not kill a customer. Matthew watched him go with a smile before he turned back to the newspaper he'd been reading.

He never really bothered to take anything Eli said to heart, mainly because he knew the redhead didn't mean it — most of the time. At least he hoped so. Eli's glares were certainly convincing enough to have Matthew reconsider that idea.

A while later, just as Matthew finished his coffee and folded up his newspaper, Eli approached him. He noticed that the young man was wearing his coat and an expression that made it look like he was seriously reconsidering something.

"Do you, uh, want to have lunch with me," Eli asked before Matthew could say anything. He couldn't help but stare in surprise at Eli. A moment later, the surprise turned to suspicion.

"Why?" Matthew asked. As much as he liked Eli, he still remembered the way he'd torn the mask off of his face all those months ago. Besides, the younger man had told Matthew all too often to get away from him (not that he listened). After all that, any sort of invitation from Eli seemed odd.

"If you don't want to then just say so," Eli said, sounding just as annoyed as he usually did when dealing with Matthew. This time, however, he also seemed a bit flustered, and Matthew didn't fail to notice the bit of pink tinging Eli's freckled cheeks. Before Matthew could comment on this — most likely in a way that would get him punched — Eli turned and walked to the door.

"Hey, wait a minute!" Matthew said, standing and hurrying after Eli. "I didn't say no," he said, catching up to the redhead.

"Too bad, it was a limited time offer," Eli said without even looking Matthew's way. "Now stop following me." He quickened his pace in an attempt to get rid of Matthew. Not that it did much good.

"What if I happen to be heading the same way and happen to want to have lunch in the same place as you?" Matthew asked innocently.

"Then I might happen to punch you in the face," Eli muttered.

"Harsh," Matthew said, trying not to look too amused. He didn't think Eli would really punch him — again. "So, why'd you ask me to have lunch with you?" he asked after a moment of silence.