FAQs

Hey guys! I figured I'd answer some of the questions that come up most often to save you all the trouble of trying to find the answer somewhere in the book/comments. Also, I'm celebrating having reached 4k followers! *cries from happiness*

How is Eli's name pronounced?

It's pronounced ee-lie in this story, though I know in some countries it can also be pronounced as el-ee. Matthew would, of course, totally mispronounce it to piss Eli off.

How old are Eli and Matthew?

Though I never settled on exact ages for them, I always figured Eli would be around 20-21 in this book and Matthew would be around 25-27.

Why aren't there more female characters?

Now for this one I'll tell you all a bit about my early writing. When I started I wrote mostly female MCs in action/thriller/supernatural stories, probably because I was a kid and didn't know how to distance myself from my characters, so writing males was foreign to me. By the time I started writing on WP, I'd just realized I should practice writing more diverse characters, and being surrounded by LGBT+ people, I figured I could really step out of what I usually write. So, I did a romance between two men (Clover). Then I followed it with Vigilante. By the time Vigilante was done I'd gotten enough practice writing male characters and moved on to The Girl Who Knew Too Much and Albatross (which still centers around male main characters, but has a lot more female characters). 

In the future, I do hope to write more female characters, including some LGBT+ ladies. I've actually got a couple of ideas with female leads and most of them were planned while writing Vigilante. So yes, it was all unintentionally done while I practiced writing male characters, haha.

Couldn't the police test the blood Matthew keeps leaving all around the city to find out who Vigilante is?

This gets asked a lot and I see why. Honestly, before researching how forensics work, I would have thought the same. The way blood samples are used to find a suspect is that the police take a sample and try to find a match in their database, which includes samples from people who have been suspected or convicted for serious crimes and were asked/forced to provide a blood sample. To get said blood sample, the police would have to either ask for one to be given willingly (because if you're suspected of a murder you didn't commit you should be okay with providing one if it'll save you from possibly going to jail) or they would need a warrant to take a sample. They do get samples in other, somtimes shadier, ways but even then they would have to suspect a person.

Donating blood, having blood drawn for medical reasons, or for any reason other than anything related with a crime would not have your blood end up in the police's database. So, if Matthew has never been suspected/convicted of a crime and has never provided a sample for the police, they would have nothing to compare Vigilante's blood samples to. This is why a lot of crimes go unsolved even today. Add in to that the fact that blood is easily contaminated, DNA testing is not a sure thing, and human genetics can sometimes fuck with an investigation in really wwird ways, and having a blood sample of someone you know was at a crime scene isn't a sure fire way to catch a criminal

WHY WON'T YOU WRITE SEXY TIMES?

Because I'm evil. :D

Haha, okay, no but I have some reasons. The first of which is that I have very little practice writing sex scenes and I'm sure my attempts would be cringe worthy. I also don't feel that it is necessary for the story and would much rather spend my time working on other projects or completing prompt fills. Of course, I'm biased on this since I'm most likely asexual (or somewhere on the ace spectrum) and so sex bores me, lol.

It is still heavily implied later on that they do have sex. That's just not a main conflict so sex scenes would be pretty useless.

What is Eli studying?

You'll probably find out later in some way. Personally, I've always envisioned him as doing something science related because he strikes me as the type of person who'd rather study volcanoes than deal with people.

What is Matthew's origins story?

You'll also probably find out later. I do have something in mind, but I didn't want to focus on that with this book because so many superhero books end up being origin stories. Honestly I have a lot of background info on the characters, a lot of it useless, haha.

How did you make the cover? Did you draw it?

Yes, yes I did. It started as a doodle that came out pretty good. Since my old cover was crappy and I would be applying to be featured, I figured I should spruce it up. To make it I used GIMP (a free image editing program) and drew/edited it there. I also recommend Pixlr if you don't feel like downloading anything and MediBang if you're looking to draw a cover. All are free and easy to use!

Will there be a sequel?

Maybe! Right now I'm still focusing on finishing Albatross, but once that's done I'll definitely consider it. Whether it gets done depends on if I can come up with something that won't take away from the original. It may not be my next project, but I'll give it some thought and see what I come up with. Either way, keep an eye out for info on my next project. I'll be releasing more details later in the year as Albatross should wrap up by early-late fall.

But thank you all for asking! I'm always glad to know you all enjoyed the original enough to want a sequel. :D

Can I make fanart, write fanfics, etc.?

Yes, I'd love to see what you all come up with! If you do, please send me a link to it so I can check it out. You can find my tumblr, twitter and author e-mail on my profile, or you could just message me and, of course, credit me if you post it somewhere else. I'd also love to feature your work and share it with others!

Also, if you haven't already, check out the fanart people have made for this story in my art book. It's all really purty! :'D

If there's anything else you guys are curious about, feel free to ask. Maybe I'll do more FAQs or add to this one if you all want. As always, thank you all so much for all of your support. Though I might not be able to respond to all of the comments I get, I do read them and I love them all. They seriously make my day!