We Need To Talk

I didn’t want to go to school today. I’d done a horrible job of trying to convince myself that Dan hadn’t almost seen me naked. I was not ready to face him. What do you say in this situation? Do you say anything? Do you just act as if it never happened? I’ve never had to go through this with Phil and we’ve lived next door to each other for years. His room has always been across from mine, and I’ve never had to worry about the possibility of him seeing me naked. Then Dan Howell comes into the picture and all that is changed. I leaned my head against my locker and groaned.

“What’s the matter Mini Me?” a voice asked me. I didn’t even need to open my eyes to know it was Phil. I frowned and stood up straight, ready to tell him off.

“Don’t call me–“ I froze. Dan was standing right behind him. I looked at him with wide eyes, and I could feel my face heat up. He looked at me then quickly looked at the floor. Looks like we were taking the ‘pretend it didn’t happen’ route. Phil looked at us oddly.

“What is with you two? You were fine yesterday. Did I miss something?” he asks. I shake my head quickly.

“I, uh… I have to get to homeroom. Bye!” I run off down the hall, and don’t even bother looking back. Phil would catch up with me later to try and find out what was going on. Not that I was going to tell him. I just hope Dan wouldn’t say anything. I wouldn’t be able to evade them for long. Dan was in my English class, and the three of us had science together. Today was going to be a long day.

“We need to talk.” Dan slams his books on my desk, causing me to jump. I grabbed at my chest, “Jesus Christ, you almost gave me a heart attack.” Dan slid his books off my desk, and sat in the one to my left.

“We need to talk about what almost happened yesterday,” Dan whispers, “I don’t know how much longer I can ignore Phil’s questions.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” I looked away from his eyes.

“Don’t play dumb with me. We need to–“

“Settle down. Settle down. You’ll have time to socialize later. Right now, pop quiz on last night’s reading assignment,” our English teacher interrupts him. Dan purses his lips in annoyance. I’d managed to ignore Dan’s sidelong glances and other attempts to get my attention. That is, until our teacher decided that we should partner up and work from our books for the rest of the class. This guy, Nicholas, walked up to my desk and asked to be my partner. He was one of those stereotypical nerds. He got straight A’s, was on student council, and was a member of the science club. I was just about to accept his offer, when Dan scooted his entire desk next to me.

“Sorry, Nick,” Dan smiles sweetly, “Y/N has already agreed to be my partner.”

“I… what?” I looked at him in disbelief. He looked at me, and his smile turned into a smirk.

“Don’t tell me you’re backing out on me now.” He glanced up at Nick, who was still standing by my desk. I didn’t think it was possible, but his smirk widened.

“Don’t tell me you’ve got some sort of cr–“ I slapped my hand over Dan’s mouth. I looked at Nick with wide eyes.

“So sorry, Nick,” I apologized, “ I already promised Dan. Plus I told Phil I’d be nice to him, and Dan here might cry otherwise. He’s very sensitive.” Nick walked away and I removed my hand from Dan’s mouth. He was smiling at me in amusement.

“If you’re trying to be my friend, you’re going about it the wrong way,” I glare at him.

“So I take it you don’t have a crush on Nick,” he chuckled. I punched him lightly in his arm. I opened my book to the desired page, and opened my notebook to a clean page.