Back To Normal

This was a mistake. Why did I wear this dress? Is it too late to go home and change? Why am I even here? I should have just skipped again. Why am I so scared?

“Get it together Y/N!” I take a deep breath then step out of my car. I’d decided to wear the long-sleeved skater dress I’d bought yesterday. I don’t know why. I wanted to change things up, but I was immediately regretting this decision. I didn’t look bad; I was just uncomfortable. I grab my bag out the backseat and sling it over my shoulder. I hold my head up high and make my way into the school. As I made my way up those front steps and through the doors, I felt eyes on me. This was definitely a mistake. I don’t like attention! Why did I do this to myself?

“Mistakes were made. Mistakes. Were. Made.” I say quietly to myself as I speed-walk to my locker. To make my embarrassment worse, my lock decided to stick. I laughed humorlessly, “You have got to be kidding me.” I drop my back on the ground and tug at the locker with both hands. I don’t notice anyone come up behind me until arms are wrapped around my waist. I jumped about five feet and squealed. I turned around to see Alex smiling at me.

“Y/N, you look hot. Is this a preview of what you’ll be wearing to the dance?” He bites his lip and looks me up and down. I don’t even have time to reply when I hear someone else call my name. I look to my left and see Dan and Phil staring at me in shock.

“Fuck me…” Dan says softly. Phil frowns and pushes his shoulder. Dan’s eyes widen and he blushes a deep scarlet.

“You’re wearing a dress,” Phil says.

“No shit, Sherlock,” you smirk, “Feels weird. Do I look okay?” I tug at the hemline slightly.

“You look–“

“Beautiful,” Dan says. My focus goes to Dan. I find myself smiling at his words. Phil looks at him with an eyebrow raised.

“N-not that you don’t normally l-look beautiful. You just… yea…” Dan runs a hand through his hair.

“Thanks Dan,” I say, “That was really sweet.”

“Hey babe,” Alex puts his arm around my waist, “Can I walk you to class?”

“Oh, actually… Phil, since you’re here… can you do that trick you do with my locker?”

“Of course,” he smiles. He steps up to your locker. He spins the combination he has since memorized, hits the locker in two spot then tugs at the handle. It flies open.

“Thank you, Phil! You’re the best!” I throw my arms around him in a hug. I quickly grab the books I need then toss my bag into my locker. Alex wraps his arm back around my waist and starts to drag me away.

“See you guys later,” I smile. Things were starting to feel like they were going back to normal.

“Yea… later. See you,” Dan mumbles. I watch as Phil hits him again. Alex walks me to my first class. Before I can step into the room, he grabs my arm pulling me back.

“There’s nothing going on with you and that Dan guy… right?” he asks me. I look at him in confusion.

“What!? No, of course not. Why?”

“Nothing. It would just complicate things.” He places a strand of hair behind my ear then walks away.What the fuck was that?

-x-x-x-x-x-

“You are not eating in the library,” Phil says dragging me towards the cafeteria. He’d ambushed me at my locker, leaving me no chance to escape.

“You’re only doing this to make sure I don’t cut class again.”

“What? No… of course not. That is the farthest thing from what I’m doing right now.”