Nerves

The dance is tomorrow night. The dance is tomorrow night. The dance is tomorrow night. I’m going to vomit. I’m not ready. I mean, I am ready. I have a dress, shoes and a date. I don’t know what to expect and that terrifies me.

I carpooled with Dan and Phil today. I was in my normal jeans and t-shirt. I felt more comfortable, but that feeling that something was going to go horribly wrong, was still there. I didn’t say a word the whole way to the school, and I know the boys noticed.

Upon arriving at the school, I avoided Alex like the plague. I was afraid if I saw him, I would puke. These things don’t happen to me. I don’t get asked out by jocks. I don’t get asked to the dance. I don’t getkissed by popular guys. I don’t know how I’m going to survive tomorrow if I’m reacting like this right now.

I’m sitting in my spot in the library, looking out the window. My stomach is churning. I haven’t seen Alex all day, but the looks I get jut walking down the hall are enough. Everyone knows I’m his date. Everyone. I walk by his friends and they look at me with this sort of secret look, and I feel sick all over again.

“Hey.” I jump slightly. I look up and see Dan smiling at me shyly.

“I thought I’d find you here. Can I join you?” I shrug. He pulls out the chair across from me.

“Have you eaten?” he asks me. I shrug again. He holds up a bag of cookies and offers one to me. I shake my head slightly and he frowns.

“Y/N… what’s wrong?”

“I’m scared,” I admit quietly. He reaches over and grabs one of my hands. I squeeze his hand tightly.

“I just have this massive feeling that something bad is going to happen tomorrow. I don’t know if it’s even worth going.”

“Me and Phil will be there. You don’t have to be by that prick’s side all night.”

“His name is Alex.”

“That’s what I said,” Dan smirks. He squeezes my hand reassuringly.

“Don’t stress. I’m sure you’re going to look beautiful. You always do. Just have fun tomorrow. Don’t think about anything else.”

“But what if–“ He shushes me and puts a finger to my lips. He smiles sweetly at me.

“Breathe.” He lowers his finger and I take a reluctant breath in. I release a shaky breath. He squeezes my hand again. I manage a slight smile. Knowing Dan and Phil will be there definitely puts me more at ease. But that feeling isn’t going to go away anytime soon.

-x-x-x-x-x-

Fast forward to the next day. School was a drag. If I felt like all eyes were on me before, today was so much worse. I couldn’t go anywhere without hearing whispers. If I could have holed up in the library all day, I would have. Alex found me throughout the day, and was sure to tell me he was excited for the night. We went over what time he’d be by to pick me up, but I just went through the motions. I’d never been so nervous in my entire life.

At the end of the day, I was once again walking to my locker with Dan and Phil. I was shaking so bad I couldn’t spin my lock combination. Phil places a reassuring hand on my back and opens my locker for me. He pulls me into a quick hug, trying his best to calm me. That’s of course when Alex walks up to us.

“Phil!” he greets. With a slight glance at Dan he adds, “Howell.”

“Alex… hey,” Phil smiles slightly.

“Just the guys I wanted to see,” Alex continues. He sidles up next to me and wraps his arm around my waist. Dan’s face is set in a frown. I don’t understand why Alex and Dan hate each other so much. As far as I knew, they had no idea who each other were. I didn’t want any drama tonight. My nerves were already off the charts. I didn’t want to have to worry about them starting a fight or something.

“I know you three are attached at the hip and everything, but I’m going to take Y/N home today.” Phil glances at me warily. He purses his lips.

“Y/N and I are neighbors,” Phil says slowly, “It’s not an issue for us to take her home.”

“Oh, I know it’s convenient for you. I would just prefer to spend some more time with my date before the dance tonight.”

“Is that okay with you, Y/N?” Dan asks me. He’s not looking at me. He’s staring straight at Alex.

“Uh, no… I-I mean, that’s fine,” I stutter. I’ve been put on the spot and I don’t like it. Guess I’m going to have to get used to it once I walk through those doors on Alex’s arm.

“It seems you have a problem, Howell.”

“If she doesn’t have a problem, then I don’t,” Dan stated.

“Good,” Alex smirks. He tightens his hold on my waist. He turns to me slightly and places a chaste kiss to my cheek.

“Ready to go, babe?” I bite my lip slightly and nod. Dan glances at me briefly before looking at the ground.

“I… I’ll see you guys tonight?” I ask. Phil smiles at me and nods.

“I bought a new bowtie for the occasion.” Alex starts to lead me away. I touch Dan’s arm gently. He looks up at me with an unreadable expression.

“Save a dance for me?” A small smile makes it’s way to Dan’s face.

“Of course.” I smile back before turning and walking away with Alex.

Once in Alex’s car, he immediately started fiddling with the radio. He finally started the car, and reached over to grab my hand in his. We managed to keep up some small talk on the ride to my place. Whenever it was just me and Alex, the cockiness seemed to leave him. He was a completely different person, and I never understood why guys were like that.

He pulls into my driveway, and just as I’m about to get out, his grip on my hand tightens. I look at him with confusion. He’s biting his lip and smiling slightly. I’d be lying if I said he didn’t look hot as hell in that moment. He pulls me closer so that he can kiss me. I don’t pull away. I actually kind of melt into it.

“See you tonight,” he says, pulling away. I’m stunned. I blink a few times, bringing myself back to reality. I stammer out a reply then nearly fall out of the car. I’m flustered and quite frankly, a little angry with myself. I’d let my nerves get to me today, and I wasn’t able to reject his advances like I normally would. I was in a vulnerable state and he had taken complete advantage of that.

I closed the door to my room and slide down until I’m sitting on the floor. My heart rate is off the charts, and I can still feel Alex’s lips on mine. I didn’t have a problem with Alex. It was just incredibly strange that one of the most popular guys in school all of a sudden was taking an interest in me. My phone rings, interrupting my thoughts.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Hi. Uhm, hi.”

“Dan?” I chuckle.

“Yea, hi.”

“Hi. What’s up?”

“I just… wanted to make sure you got home okay.” I could just imagine the faint blush that was probably on his cheeks. I smiled to myself.

“I did. Alex took care of me.” The smile falls from my face as I think back to the kiss. I feel guilty, even though I have no reason to be guilty.

“He didn’t try anything, did he?”

“Uh… no? Nope. H-he just dropped me off.” Not a complete lie, but I’m sure the shakiness in my voice gave way that I wasn’t being completely honest.

“Okay… well… I guess I’ll see you tonight?”

“Yup! Remember you promised me a dance.”

“How could I forget?”