The Start Of A New Thing

"Y'all ready? Tonight I figured I'd make a roast and mashed potatoes mixed with corn. I also made pie and cookies for dessert. I know how y'all liked to eat so I added what should be enough starch to the meal to fill ya up." Tony grinned brightly and served the food giving large amounts to Steve and Thor then regular proportions to the others. Peter actually got a pretty big helping. He apparently ate a lot.

          Steve looked up at Tony and sighed. "Thanks for taking us in." Tony smiled warmly. "Of course. It wasn't just for old times' sake, ya know." A hush came over the group as they thought into that. Tony put the food on the counter and took off his apron. He hung it up then sat down at the head of the table. Rhodey and Peter sat at his sides. Next to Peter was Bruce who was next to Natasha. Thor sat on the other end. Steve was next to Rhodey leaving the last chair for Clint.

          "Dig in before the food gets cold. I did not slave in this hot kitchen for nothin. I will get my switch if this food isn't eaten." Tony tapped his foot, cutting through the quiet. They knew he was playing around because of the smile that he's trying to will away. The awkward tension seemed to dissipate as Peter shovels the food in, not wanting a spanking.

          Soon they were all laughing and talking like old times. Tony told hilarious stories of his time in the town. How so many people made fools of themselves trying to woo Tony which most died of laughter over except Steve. He chuckled and had awkward mannerisms. Tony brushed it off as Steve being Steve.

-----

          That night the avengers picked their places. Bruce and Natasha slept in the guest king bed. Thor took the bottom bunk and Clint took the top. Rhodey had his room already made up. Tony insisted that Steve takes his bed. Tony laid out on the couch that was more comfortable than it looked.

          Steve passed through the living room to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water. He stoped and watched Tony lying there peacefully. It made him long to touch him and kiss Tony's lips. He thought it was useless because Tony only saw him as a friend.

          He sighed and decided to sleep on all this. He finally had Tony back. He wasn't gonna lose him again. So he got the water and went to bed, all the while, coming up with his own battle plan.

          To win the heart of Anthony Parker.