SHE DROPPED THE CANS. I could feel my face start to burn. I quickly pushed myself away from Ben.
     "Next time I would suggest not doing that when everyone is around." she left.
     Ben started laughing once she was gone, but I was still red. He eventually got out of the car.
     After a few hours, I could hear the faint hum of a helicopter. I opened the car window and screamed at the rest of the squad.
     "They're here!" I yelled.
     A spotlight was shining down on the car now. I threw the door open for my group to jump in. The chopper opened fire as we drove away. It popped a tire, but Ringer floored the gas pedal.
     "How'd you know?" Cassie asked.
     "I heard them." I responded, "I'm pretty sure after being on the run I would have to know what a helicopter sounds like."
      "Thank you." she whispered, "I didn't want to lose Sammy again."
      I nodded.
     Sharp pains shot through my hip from all of the movement. I leaned against Zombie.
     "Where are we going now?" I questioned.
     "There's a hotel near Urbana." Marika answered.
The car broke down an hour into our escape. Marika yelled and kicked the pedals.
"We're going to have to walk." she calmed down enough to tell us.
"How far away is it?" I asked.
"A few miles." she told me.
I sighed. There was no way I could make it. Should I just make them leave me? I don't want them to be here when the helicopter comes back.
Ben spoke up, interrupting my plans, "I'll carry her. She's not that heavy anyway."
"I may seem light for a few yards, but this is three miles." I stopped him.
"I'm not leaving you and you can't walk on your own." he responded, "I'm carrying you."
I gave up. Ben picked me up and we all made our way to the hotel. I kept looking up at him as he walked, he didn't look like I was getting difficult to carry.
The chopper was back. I could hear it again, but this time we were covered under a canopy of trees. They wouldn't be able to see us so I didn't say anything this time.
"Are you alright?" I asked Ben.
He smiled, "Yeah."
I don't know what it was about his smile that made me want to kiss him more than usual. It could be the way it makes me think that nothing horrible is happening right now. I seem to forget about the waves as soon as he smiles.
"Here we go." Marika opened her arms to present the hotel.
It was overgrown with vines and it reeked of rotting bodies. Rats ran around our feet once we were inside. The stench was even worse now.
Cassie threw up into a hollowed out couch cushion in the lobby. When we reached the stairs I had Ben put me down. He helped me climb them to our floor. Marika opened the door to one of the least infested rooms.
"Teacup and Nocturne will have to share a bed as well as Cassie and Nugget." Ringer said, "Zombie gets the couch."
"What about you." I sat down on one of the beds.
"Don't worry about me." she replied.
I let myself fall asleep after Zombie told me that he'd take first watch.

EDITED

Go check out LEGENDS and my other stories if you haven't already!

Also make sure to leave a vote and comment if you liked this chapter!