09

I HURRIED TO THE girl and carried her to what used to be my bed. She wasn't breathing. Vosch must've sent her. I could still remember how he used a child to capture me the first time.
      "She needs CPR." Ben tried to push past me.
     "No." I stopped him, "I think I know what's going on."
     I had only heard about stuff like this in camp. Instead of normal trackers, kids would be implanted with capsules that blow up in the presence of CO2. They'd die as soon as they take a breath.
     "We need to wake her up." he tried again.
     "We can't. If we do, she'll start breathing." I probably sounded crazy.
     "That's the point." he glared at me.
     "If she takes that breath, anyone within a mile radius will be blown to bits." I touched my throat, "She's been implanted with a bomb."
     "She's right." a weak voice responded.
     The man was propped up on his elbows, "The bomb is triggered by CO2." he continued.
     "Our breath." I mumbled.
     "If it doesn't go off, they'll know we figured them out." he told me.
      "But we'll die of it does." I retorted.
     "Breath isn't the only source of CO2." he raised an eyebrow.
     "Soda." Cassie looked up in realization.
     "The diner across the street might still have the canisters." I added.
     "So we take the bomb out of her throat and blow it up while the rest of us hide across the street?" Cassie questioned.
     "You'll want to be further." the man responded.
     "Who is he?" I asked Ben.
     "Cassie said his name is Evan Walker." he answered.
     I nodded.
     "Who's going to take it out." I spoke up, "Cassie's too emotional, you're too hurt, Cup and Nugget are too young, Dumbo's knocked out, Poundcake knows nothing about surgery, and I don't even know where Ringer is."
     "That leaves you and Zombie." Evan replied.
     Silence. Ben stared at me. I rolled my eyes. I was interrupted before I could speak up.
     "I'll do it." Ben finally volunteered.
     "The rest of you should go to the diner for now." I turned to the rest of Squad 53, "Grab Dumbo and Ringer on your way out."
     "What about you?" Cassie asked.
     "I'm staying." I told her, "Someone still needs to stand watch."
     She left with everyone except Evan, Ben, the little girl, and me.
     The surgery lasted ten minutes. Soon enough, the bright green capsule was sitting at the bottom of a clear plastic bag. I held it up to the light. Vosch needs to pay. He put this in some kid's throat. All so he could kill us.
     "We're not dead." Ben joked when it was over.
     I smiled, "You did it."
     I signaled to Dumbo through the window. The rest of the group was back. Marika held her pack as if she were planning on leaving.
     I pulled her aside, "You're not leaving, are you?"
     "We can't stay here forever." she responded, "I'll only be gone for a few days."
     "Where are you going?" I asked.
     "The caverns. They should be safe enough, but I should still go to make sure." she told me.
     I hesitated, but then stepped aside so she could leave. We can't stay here forever. I reminded myself. She'll only be gone for a few days anyway.
     "Ringer?" Teacup called out to my sister.
     Before I could stop her, Cup bolted after Marika. My sister was nowhere to be seen, but that didn't stop the girl. She'd always been attached to my sister anyway.
     "Come back." I tried to be as quiet as possible, "There could be silencers."
     She didn't care. She kept running and I kept following. Cup suddenly lurched forward. That's when I heard the echo of the gunshot. Shit. I rushed to her.
     The snow around her was turning red. I thought back to when Dumbo told me I'd die if I were shot anywhere but right above the hip. Teacup's wound was in the center of her chest.
     I could hear footsteps running toward me. That's whoever shot Cup. I pulled my sidearm and started aiming frantically. Ringer burst into my view, throwing herself at Cup. She didn't seem fazed. Because she's already seen someone Cup's age die. Ezra.
     "I thought she was a silencer." she told me.
     Then there was the faint sound of a helicopter. Great. They're going to take all of us. I knew Marika was trying to figure out what to do. I couldn't look at Cup without being reminded of Ezra.
     "You need to go." my older sister finally said something.
     I shook my head, but she cut me off before I could even say anything, "I need to stay with Cup because I shot her, but you need to get back to the hotel."
     "I don't want to lose you again." I told her.
     "You won't." she promised, "Trust me, I'll be back."
     Tears tore down my cheeks as I ran. the helicopter landed in front of the two girls, but I was too far away for them to get me. Ben stood at the entrance of the hotel.
     "What's going on?" he asked.
     I ran past him, through the lobby and up the stairs. I collapsed in the room, in front of Evan as well as Nugget and Cassie. 
     "What happened?" Ben wrapped his arms around me.
     "They're both gone." I said through tears, "Vosch has both of them."
     Ben didn't let go of me, but I could tell that he was shocked.
     "Why should you care?" Cassie asked, "I thought you hated Ringer."
     "Why should I care?" I shot up, "She's my sister! I've already lost her once."

EDITED

Make sure to leave a vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter!