spring rain

"nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed."

- michelle k -

— × —

i got caught outside in the rain. my quick run to the convenience store turned into an hour of sitting by the window, eating cup noodles and waiting for the rain to subside.

i didn't check the weather forecast before leaving so i didn't take an umbrella.

the convenience store was just a few feet in front of me when it suddenly started drizzling. i had to run the rest of the way.

if we were still together, you'd have insisted we go back home in the rain. playing in the rain was one of your favourite things.

as i stare out the window, the image of my hand in yours as you pull me out into the rain plays in my mind.

i can practically see you splashing about in the rain and laughing. your free hand grabbing mine and twirling us around dangerously.

you always ended up kissing me at some point. your lips were always somehow warm on mine even in the cold.

hair matted to our scalps, you'd grin big at me. and then you're pulling me and making us splash around in a forming puddle.

the dark sky never bothered you. the grey clouds didn't bring you down, instead they lifted your spirits.

i finish my now cold cup noodles just as the rain stops. i pay for the other things i bought and walk out.

the grim sky is slowly clearing up as i make my way back home. the rain is gone now and everything has been refreshed.