6 (pt. ii)

WHEN I ARRIVE at the café, I find Audrick waiting out front, by the trellised wall. Once again, he looks like he stepped straight out of a fashion magazine, dressed in a white polo shirt and crisp khakis. Every little detail from his neatly combed hair to the belt around his waist marry to create a coherent, stylish look. Even his brown shoes look immaculate, a nuance that sets his outfit apart from the more formally dressed boys on campus, and I find myself picturing him standing out front a Parisian coffee shop instead of one in inland California. The way he stands with perfect posture makes me think he too is aware of his allure and the looks girls toss him as they pass by, although he pays them no mind, checking his watch instead. Despite his impeccable form and coordinated attire, all three buttons on his collar are undone, adding a touch of vogue and youthfulness to his otherwise classic look. 

The cover-worthy blonde looks my way as I open my mouth to address him, and it doesn't take any time at all for his lips to form a cordial smile.

"Hey," I greet, offering up a smile of my own.

"Good afternoon." Audrick nods toward the entrance behind us, and I follow his gesture to the glass door. "You ready for lunch?"

"Absolutely," I say, willing the noisy beast that is my stomach to stay quiet.

Audrick gives a curt nod as he steps around me, leading the way to the entrance. He easily pulls open the glass door, then steps aside and nods inside. "After you."

"Thank you," I say, stepping inside.

"You can use your student ID here," Audrick informs me as we enter the relatively short lineup. "The only thing not covered by the complementary campus meal plan is alcohol."

I remember Audrick's instructions when it comes time to pay for my order and produce my student ID. I'm honestly a little surprised they don't use retina scanners or fingerprinting as validation like everywhere else seems to. In fact, it seems a little redundant that the school even distributes student cards. But I guess they're necessary to make the university seem more legitimate (or primitive, I should say) to the outside world. Or maybe the picture ID is like a double security measure. I don't know, and after Audrick's warning yesterday, I have no volition to ask.

After I finish at the till, I move to step aside, but Audrick is quick to meet me before I have a chance to leave. "You can choose a table if you want. I'll find you."

"Okay," I agree before setting off in search of a place to sit, opting for a table outside. Compared to the student cafeteria, the bistro is relatively quiet, and I easily find a blue and white checker-clothed table pressed against one edge of the white trellised fence.

By the time I slide off my backpack, tucking it under the table so as not to create a tripping hazard, and adjust my seat so I'm sitting comfortably, Audrick appears with two glasses of ice water, placing them on the table before sliding into the seat across from me.

"Thank you," I say, feeling a little embarrassed by his hospitality. Knowing I had a bottle of water in my bag that I'd refilled before leaving home, I didn't even think of grabbing some at the self-serve station inside. Of course, Audrick would think of both of us.

"You're welcome," he says, reaching for his glass and drawing a long sip. When he's satisfied, he places the glass back down and brings his gaze level with mine, and I can't help but notice that under the light of the sun, his cerulean eyes are dotted with specks of a darker blue, a compelling combination that makes my volition to stare strong. It's only when he blinks that I find it in me to look away, fixing my gaze on a white square in the tablecloth. When Audrick speaks again, his voice gentler now that it's lacking the authoritative tone I've grown accustomed to, I bring my gaze level with his.