7 (pt. iii)

STEPPING INSIDE THE Lara Taylor Boutique is like stepping into a whole other world. The brick floors are painted a grey-tinted white, and I'm pretty sure I only notice the subtle grey undertone because it contrasts with the whiter-white on all the walls of the rectangular space, which stretches in front of me. Teardrop-shaped glass light fixtures hang from the ceiling at different heights, casting a faint blue glow on the plain walls. The peculiar combination colours and textures gives the room an ethereal feel, and I'm wondering if this is what it would feel like to be on a cloud when the sound of a cheery voice brings me back to reality.

"Hel— Audrick!"

Just as quickly as I catch sight of the dirty blonde, she's at my side and throwing her arms around Audrick, embracing him in the type of hug friends who haven't seen each other in years give each other. Except he doesn't seem to be putting in nearly half the effort she is.

"Luce," he chuckles, pulling the girl close for a brief moment before distancing himself from her.

"It feels like forever since you've come to visit," the girl says, smoothing out some nonexistent wrinkles in her black skirt. As she does so, I notice her nails are painted a dark shade of burgundy that almost looks black. While I admire her polished and put-together appearance, her green eyes find me, and she offers me a tight smile as she does me a once over before meeting my gaze. "Hi," she says. "I'm Lucy."

"Gemma," I reply, hoping the smile I send her way seems more genuine than the strained one she wears. Judging by her expression and the way she steps closer to Audrick as if she's shielding him from me, I get the impression she has a thing for him. I hope she takes my smile as a peace offering because I certainly don't want to get in her way.

"This is my sister's shop," Audrick explains with a smirk, casting his blue-eyed gaze on me.

"Your sister owns this place?"

"His sister is the Lara Taylor," Luce chimes.

Tearing my gaze away from the feisty blonde, I look to Audrick for affirmation.

"Don't get carried away, Luce. Just because my sister's a renowned designer doesn't mean she's not the biggest brat in Licapta."

"Audrick!" Luce gasps.

"They're always bickering, those two."

The new voice, this one more relaxed than Luce's, comes from a petite brunette who leans back against the oval island in the centre of the room.

"Audrick and Lara, I mean," she clarifies when my eyes find hers.

"It's true," Audrick agrees, stepping toward the back of the store, so he's an equal distance away from both Luce and I. "It's how we show affection."

"Well, it's bad for Lara's image," Luce states as definitively as a defence lawyer.

"Okay Luce," Audrick states, but his attention is focused solely on me as he motions for me to follow him.

I turn to Luce. "It's nice to meet you," I lie.

"Likewise," she agrees, although the scowl on her face suggests otherwise. The next moment she's trotting back to the registers, heels clucking against the textured floor, and I turn to join Audrick by a rack of pants.