Chapter Twenty Six

I turn to look at Finn. His eyes are still firmly on Dom.

"Did you know?" My voice is a barely a whisper. I can only manage the three words.

Finn pulls me tightly against him and turns to look at me, his face softening. His eyes are big pools of sincere blue.

"I swear, Maddie. I had no idea until just now. I know him as Nick. I haven't seen him for five years. You didn't have photographs. You didn't even say his name. How could I know?" His tone is low, but urgent and I know he's telling the truth.

How could he know? All the lengths I took to hide myself from Dom work in reverse too. There was no link back to him. My mind flits back to Finn finding my date of birth from my driving licence. He thought I was married. He thought my married name was Blue. No he couldn't know. This is a crazy coincidence. Jesus what a coincidence though. I shake my head slightly. I go to step out from behind the desk. Finn's arm tightens.

"Maddie?" He breathes and I place my hand on his chest, patting soothingly.

"I have to do this myself." I tell him and I step away from the comfort of his arms and walk towards Dom. He's still standing close to the door. His face is twisted into a smirk. There's smugness too. He thinks he's won.

"I'd like you to leave." I say quietly. "I'm happy to talk to you about seeing Will. Not today though. We need to come to some agreement, but not today."

His lip curls again and he steps towards me. "Didn't you hear me? He's not fucking you for you. It's just sick revenge." The words hurt. I know it's a lie It's cutting though. I shake my head sadly.

"You're pathetic you know." His face darkens with fury and he takes a menacing step towards me. I see Finn shift out of the corner of my eye.

"Finn didn't know about us, Dom. In six weeks, I didn't say your name." I shake my head sadly.

"I wanted a fresh start; to be somewhere, Will is safe and happy. I wanted to wipe you out of my life." My voice is raw with emotion. "I wiped everything; Facebook, email accounts, my mobile phone; bank accounts. I destroyed anything with a link to you. You're inconsequential. You're nothing to me." I can feel a hard knot of tears forming in my throat and my voice is hoarse as I press on.

"You never loved me. I don't think you love Will. He's just a tool to you; a source of manipulation." I hold his gaze and I look at those cold blue eyes. "I've had more happiness in a few weeks with Finn, than I had in five years with you." My voice breaks then. "Finn has shown me what it's like to be loved." I blink away tears. "You had to do this though. You had to come here and try and taint it with your bitterness." My voice fades to a whisper. "You had to try and ruin it."

"Maddie." Finn breathes from behind me. I square my shoulders and step forward.

"Do you know something?" My voice has strengthened slightly. "Even if you have destroyed it; I know I had something good, even if only for a little while. It was something good and it's totally eclipsed five years of utter misery with you."

"Maddie." Finn is pulling me back against him, his arm heavy around my waist. I cover my hand with his and his warm fingers wrap around mine, giving me strength and reassurance.

"You need to leave Dom." I tell him. "I'm not coming with you. I'm done!" There's conviction in my voice. I lean back against Finn. He's tense. I can feel his muscles are taut. He still feels warm and safe and comforting.

Dom looks at us. For a few seconds there's just silence and I hold his gaze and I clutch Finn's hand and even when I think I'm going to collapse with the tension of it all, Finn's arm is there, supporting me and keeping me upright; keeping me strong.