chapter 7

"I'm sorry" she said immediately. Her voice was different, not the same light, cheery voice as before. It was lower, laden with pain and hurt.

"What?" Weiss questioned confused as to why the first words out of her mouth were an apology.

The others reached the pair but didn't say anything. Watching as the scene played out in front of them.

"I'm sorry" she repeated trying to snap, but her voice broke. She refused to look any of them in the eyes knowing that if she did the tears building behind her eyes would spill over.

"Ruby?" Weiss said her name almost as a question. Her voice was full of hurt. That was it, the dams broke and tears spilled out, followed by a choked sob. Desperately​ trying to stop the sobs that wracked her body and pull her wrist free, Ruby found herself giving up. Finally she slumped against Weiss, who wrapped her arms around Ruby.

"Sorry.......Left you.......Had too...... Didn't want to......Sorry" she sputtered out.

Not sure what to do from here she looked at Blake who motioned to her. Quickly​ receiving the message she gently rubbed circles​ on the younger woman's back, and sang softly until Ruby had calmed enough to speak proper sentences.

"What do you mean you had to?" Weiss questioned.

She took in a long, deep breath before speaking, "It's a long story we, better go inside"

*************

They all sat at the polished wood table trying to absorb what they had just been presented. It seemed like a fairytale, some work of fiction. But it wasn't it was real life. "I'm​ sorry. I know I hurt all of you by leaving, without a word, hiding in the shadows. I was just trying to protect you from myself. Even if it meant removing me from your lives. It hurt me too, watching you go about your lives and not being able to be a part of them.

"At the time it seemed like the best option. I know now that it wasn't. But I did what I did and I can't change the past. I almost came back but  I got scared that you'd be angry, scared you'd lash out" she looked at Yang mainly. The blonde bowed her head as to not make eye contact. She​ was sometimes lacking in the sympathy department. "I'm sorry and I want you to know that I didn't want to hurt you."

Weiss spoke after a brief silence, "when are you coming back?" She was struggling to keep it together, her face was wet with tears.

Ruby cupped her face and wiped​ the tears away with her thumbs, looking into Weiss's eyes with love and compassion. "Soon, I hope" she whispered before gently pressing her lips to Weiss's. Her eyes went wide and everyone's​ jaws dropped to the floor.

____________________________________ok I know this chapter is short, but it took me forever to write, and I wound up writing it twice because it didn't save. But I did it. Hope you liked it! Also I plan on having this story done in one or two chapters, it depends on how long chapter 8 turns out. If it's really short I might just combine it with chapter 9 and call it done.