ii. half of her soul

THE SOUND OF LOUD COMPLAINTS was starting to overwhelm Rue as she pushed past a few angry passengers. A few flights had been delayed, and though Dawn didn't mind it, not everyone was as laid back as her.

    Some lady with a huge suitcase -and a dozen more bags carried by a bunch of guys who appeared to be her assistants- had been complaining at one of the staff for what seemed like an hour, annoyance clear in her voice.

    She blabbered about something along the lines of a vacation in Spain or something. Dawn couldn't care less, as it was the lady's complaints that's slowly giving her a headache.

    She made her way past more passengers before reaching the bathroom, walking into one of the stalls and locking it. She plopped down on top of the toilet seat, burying her head in her hands. Her chest was heaving, and it wasn't because of her delayed flight. She had always hated the crowd.

    The original plan was to get into the airplane as soon as possible so that she wouldn't have to encounter a bunch of unwanted, unnecessary interaction with people. But who knew her flight was on the list of the delayed ones?

    Just my luck, she thought.

    After about twenty minutes -according to her small crimson colored watch around her wrist- of calming down her nerves, she unlocked the stall door to reveal an empty bathroom. She splashed her face with water, staring at her reflection on the mirror above the sink, "Toughen up, Dawn. This is just the start" she said to herself.

    She walked out of the bathroom area. Her eyes was scanning the airport for a place to sit when she instead caught the sight of a familiar golden brown haired boy from across the room.

    The boy was looking left and right in panic as if he had lost something. And then, his eyes caught Dawn's. His worried expression fell almost instantly into a relieved one as he hurriedly made his way to her.

    Terrence.

    Dawn felt her breath got caught in her throat as he approached her. He didn't forget. He came. He came to see her.

    Terrence stopped right in front of her, crouching down with his hands on his knees to support himself as he tried to catch his breath. "Dawn I am so sorry I came here as fast as I could after that note please don't be mad at me" he said in one breath, wincing his eyes towards me.

    "yeah? if my flight had not been delayed, you'd be an hour late"

    His eyes went wider, feeling more guilty "I know I know, I messed up, I'm lucky you're not on air yet, I'm so sorry Dawn" he squeezed my hands in his, pleading with his eyes. Dawn laughed,  shooking her head in relief "I'm messing with you stupid. Altough i really thought you were mad at me. I should have known you'd come" Terrence's lips curved into a groggy grin. "How would I not come? I just accidentally slept through my alarm," he said before engulfing Dawn into a tight hug. "you're helpless, mister Wright" she laughed, arms wrapped around Terrence returning his embrace. 

    They stayed in that bone-crushing hug for a while before Dawn decided it was too much, "Terri you're crushing me" she laughed, releasing herself from Terrence before patting him on the shoulder. "right" he grinned, scratching his head. Terrence opened his mouth to say something, but the flight call interrupted. Dawn held her suitcase tighter. "that's me" she whispered, barely audible to anyone but her.

    Her eyes immediately searched for Terrence's, seeking comfort. She felt her anxiety rising to her stomach, realizing its time for her to go.

    "I'll walk you there" Terrence said, taking his best friend's hand in his own, her suitcase in the other and began walking. Dawn followed along beside him, smiling a little.

    Stopping just a few meters from the supposed gate, Dawn who was busy looking around in nervousness was spun around to meet her best friend in the eyes. "are you sure you've got everything?" he asked, both hands holding her by the shoulder.  The girl chuckled at the question "duh. I double checked everything"

    "I can triple check it if you want" Terrence offered. Dawn laughed seeing a concerned dad mode Terrence pulls before her. He had always treated her like she's so little, and the fact that he is two years older than her doesn't help her situation. "relax Tee, I have everything I need"

    "toothbrush?"

    "check"

    "documents and cards?"

    "all packed"

    "mints?"

    "uh, yeah"

    "pillows?"

    "why would I need pillows Tee?"

    "just asking" he shrugged.

    The two stood in silence, letting the fact that they're going their separate paths in just a few moments sink in.

    Dawn brought her vision up to Terrence's figure, taking notice he had his focused somewhere else while fidgeting the watch circled on his wrist.

    For the first time in a while, Dawn took in the features of the boy in front of her. The one that's been with here every step of the way since they were both so little. The one who was her eyes, her crouch to walk, her guide to follow. The one she had always taken for granted. Then, her vision started to blur.

    She began to cry.

    Her shoulders shook, and her hands trembled. The realization was too much to handle. Terrence shot his head right up, noticing his best friend had cried. Her bottom lip quivered as she tried not to explode into a crying mess. "I-I'm going to really m-miss you" she chocked.

    A small apologetic smile appearaed on the older boy's face. He streched his arms towards her, holding her face in his palms. "you better do, or else im going to come for you" he let out a shaky laugh, raw sadness clear in his eyes.

    Dawn laughed as she closed her eyes, letting the heat radiating from his palms made its way to her cheeks.

    "I'm sorry it has to be this way. I'm sorry I can't be with you all the time like I promised you I would" he said as his fingertips caressed her flushed cheeks.

    The girl shook her head. "This was my choice. You have nothing to be sorry for"

    The flight call was heard one more time. She had 10 minutes to check in.

    "go" he said, unwillingly letting go of his hold from her.

    She immediately missed his warmth just seconds after his hands left her.

    She wrapped her fingers on her suitcase handle tightly, holding her breath. "I'll see you soon Terri." He brought his thumb up and sent her a comforting smile, denying the wave of sadness already creeping up his body.

    "good luck, Dawn."

    The girl smiled back and nodded. She took a glance of Terrence's familiar eyes one more time, before completely turning away, leaving half of her soul behind.