Lets go home...

The great dragon scaled the Volcano with relative ease, despite how week it was. You hung onto the horns, letting him do the work while you just stayed on. You were both so utterly tired, but you had to get out of here. You weren't going to let much longer while you cooked like this, while your dragon was bleeding out from his injuries.

"Come on boy, not much further. Then we can fly, we can get us both somewhere safe." The Demonic Nightmare snorted and carried on, you took that as a sign it was struggling. As it reached the top, it lazily pulled you both over the lip of the Volcano. It stood there panting, its lifeblood still flowing from it.

It. You knew you had to stop calling the dragon it, you gently reached over and patted his neck. You slid off his painful, collapsing once you hit the ground. It felt like an impossible task to stand up, but somehow you managed. You patterned his great head, feeling the raw power behind him, or what was left of this.

"I did this... I hurt you, I'm sorry." Your dragon suddenly gave a growl, apparently not liking the way you spoke. You looked up into his eyes, nodding in understanding. Yours was a new friendship, one borne of respect. Nightmares were aggressive dragons that forgave no weakness, Demonics even more so. If you apologised and felt guilty, then it would be seen as weakness and your friendship would dissolve. You had reached an understanding down there, that you were equal to each other in power. A power of body, mind and spirit.

"No, your right. We have to keep moving forward, to have to get to Berk." You told him, to which he slowly nodded in understanding. Your not use of he understood your words, but you silently understood each other's meaning. You slowly scaled back up his back, carful to avoid his delicate wings. "If we work together we can do this, we can make it."

Your dragon suddenly reared in its hind legs, his giant wings beating quicker and quicker to build up some power. He kicked off of the ground and took to the skies, at first it was a little bumpy, but soon he found his Rhythm. The huge dragon was clearly struggling to stay up in the air, you couldn't blame him. In the state you were in you wouldn't want to engage in the same levels of strain on...

You realised you needed a name for him, since you were the first knight to ride a dragon it was only appropriate that this dragon be given a name of Knight Lore. You spent a few minutes thinking about it, remembering the many heroes of the Ashfield's history. Then it struck you that you were riding a Demonic Nightmare, and you wanted to name it after a shining hero? No, only a powerful name would do. One that struck fear into the earths of those that struck against him, a name of biblical proportions.

"Satan, I'm going to call you Satan." You confidently stated. Satan just looked back at you, then gave a loud snort. Guess he likes it. You turned to the sun, noticing it was starting to set quickly. There was pretty much no chance you'd get home before night and it would be suicide for an injured dragon and an inexperienced rider to try and make it in darkness.

This left you with a dilemma, because you were still over open ocean. You had no where to land, but you had to keep going. You patted Satan's head again, trying to encourage him to continue. He didn't need the motivation, his great wings continuing to beat.

Make me proud...

For the first time you could back on that without an overwhelming sense of guilt. You couldn't help but think back on your time with your father, thinking about how you had never been close, or at least you'd never been close to him. You could see now he loved you, but he always had a strange way of showing it.

---------
"Legs apart boy, keep your balance." William told you harshly, kicking one of your legs to separate them. You struggled to hold the iron sword up, since you were only ten. Your mother had disappeared a week ago, which while it was hard on both of you, your father seemed to take his bad mood out on you.