Remus And The Jumper

Remus returned back to his dorm room later that night than usual. Time with Freya had seemed to just melt away, and he was thoroughly surprised when he looked down at his watch and realized it was almost 10 pm.

"Well well well, Moony! And where have you been?" James grinned.

"You gave your father and I quite a fright! You could have been murdered!" Exclaimed Sirius in a high-pitched, girly voice.

Remus laughed a little and pulled his bedcovers back, ready to be embraced by the warmth.

"I was only down at the library." He muttered.

"You smell of lies my boy!" Sirius exclaimed, yet again in his imitating voice.

He lay down after folding his jumper and placing it on the wooden trunk at the end of his bed.

"I met a new friend." He said softly.

"A new friend? You're not replacing us are you Moony?" James asked in fake sadness.

"No." Remus laughed, blowing out the candle next to his bed.

<><><>

A few days went by before Remus noticed her in his potions lessons. They had always had potions with the Ravenclaws and Remus liked to consider himself quite observant so why had he only recently noticed her?

He caught her eye and smiled, earning an elbow in the ribs from Sirius.

"Who's the cute little brunette you were eyeing up in potions earlier then?" Asked Sirius at dinner time.

Remus looked at him blankly.

"Come on Moony, don't pretend you don't know what I mean." Said Sirius through a mouthful of chicken.

Remus noticed that all three pairs of eyes were on him.

"Just a friend I met in the library." Remus answered, shrugging it off.

"Haven't been doing naughty things behind the bookshelves have you?" James joked, earning a snort of laughter from Peter.

Remus decided not to go to the library that night. He didn't want his friends getting the wrong impression, and he decided he needed a night away from the books anyway.

The four boys sat on the floor of their dorm room, each with a bottle of firewhisky which had been 'borrowed' from the kitchens by Peter gently persuading the house elves, who he had become quite friendly with.

Remus closed his eyes and leaned back against his bedpost, feeling the hot liquid trickle down his throat.

"You guysss... Youuu are theeee best!" Remus exclaimed, slurring a little on his words.

He heard a soft noise coming from his left and looked over and found Peter sleeping on the floor.

"Should we... Should we put him... On hisss bed?" Remus whispered, his eyes wide.

James, who was a little tipsy, but had a higher alcohol tolerance than Remus, lifted Peter up under his arms and dragged him gently across the room to his bed. Remus tried to stand up to help but tripped over his own long legs, falling to the floor with a loud thud.

It was rather surprising that the loud noise did not wake Peter, but Peter was known amongst the four to be the heaviest sleeper, they often joked that Hogwarts could be under attack and Peter would not be aware as he'd be sleeping.

Remus clambered up onto his bed and looked around. He hated pulling his jumper off in front of his friends. He knew that they would not judge but something about his scratches and scars made him feel a little uneasy. He would usually change behind his curtains but Remus was too intoxicated to pull them shut without possibly lighting them on fire or something equally as strange and dangerous.

Sirius seemed to have noticed that Remus was laying in bed with his favourite jumper on, staring up at the ceiling above his bed.

"Moony, you can't sleep with a jumper on." Sirius laughed, the alcohol making the situation seem a little odder to him.

"Why not?" Remus whispered, sitting up with wide eyes.

"You'll be too warm." Sirius exclaimed, to which James hushed him and pointed to Peter, although Peter waking up was very unlikely.

Remus nodded and lay back down.

"Do you need help?" James laughed.

Remus shook his head.

"I want to keep it on." Remus said.

"Don't be silly Moony." Sirius said, frowning at him.

"I'll take it off soon." Remus mumbled, closing his eyes.

<><><>

He woke up half way through the night a bath of sweat. His favourite jumper clung to his skin as though he had jumped into the black lake with it on. His hair stuck to his forehead and he was extremely thirsty.

He tore his jumper from his body and reached for the glass next to his bed, his fumbling hands knocking it onto the floor.

Remus cursed under his breath and reached around for his wand. He felt it and grasped it tightly in his palm.

"Lumos." He whispered, holding the tip in his palm to diffuse the light a little.

He reached down to pick up the broken pieces of glass.

"Ouch!" He exclaimed.

He heard James mumble in his sleep from the bed next to him and lifted his hand up to his face to inspect it. Crimson dripped down his fingers, it looked a lot worse than Remus had expected it to.

"Episkey!" He whispered, pointing the wand to his hand, sealing the cut.

He looked at all the dried blood and cast another spell.

"Tergeo." He whispered, and all the dried blood disappeared.

Remus was well practiced in healing spells. He often injured himself, tripping over things and bashing his head on things. Remus often wondered how he was so clumsy.

He still wanted a drink but knew that it would be his luck to injure himself again on the way to get one, so he lay his head down on his pillow, and was asleep in no time.