Chapter 8: Escape

Night had fallen, and I gathered the things that mattered to me most quickly and quietly because I was afraid Rosalia, Veronica, or even Hyrea would hear me. As I quietly tiptoed through dark corridors full of strange potions, I tiptoed across a creaky staircase. As I freaked out nervously, I continued down the windy staircase and headed towards the door. Just as I got in front of it, I saw her. Hyrea. I was completely shocked to see her up at this hour. I panicked inside, but tried not to make it seem noticeable. I would probably just tell her that I couldn't sleep and I just needed a bit of fresh air was all. She then suddenly looked me right in the eye and I stared back in shock. I hadn't realized that her gleaming purple eyes had a strange, wrong feeling to it and she had a strange scent that I hadn't recognized before. Then, she broke the silence. "And what do I owe the pleasure of having my good friend Saige up so late?"

Something about her didn't seem right and I noticed something different about her in the gleaming moonlight shining through the window of her front door. She didn't have regular nails, instead, she had tremendously sharp nails. Another thing that I noticed was underneath her thick curly hair, she was hiding wolf ears. Then it hit me. Why didn't I make out her scent before? I knew something was off about her. A werewolf, but something else didn't make sense. How was she a witch and a werewolf at the same time? These were questions that I would find answers to elsewhere after I was done solving this suddenly shocking event. Furious and not controlling my emotions, I made the sudden accusation and screamed in fear. "You're a werewolf! How dare you not tell me! You could've killed me! Why don't you just kill me now? I had enough of all this madness happening!" Then after all this, a bright flash suddenly came rushing towards me and seconds after the blinding light, I was a human! I was so relieved to see myself back to normal, however, my mind suddenly snapped back to reality that Hyrea was directly in front of me in her strange, hostile, human werewolf form. Almost by instinct, I drew a stele that I must've had when I first ran away from home before turning into a wolf. "Why are you doing this? Why didn't you kill me before?" I guess my emotions then got to me as I charged towards the monster of a species that turned me into one. Hyrea got me by surprise my suddenly jumping away and then turning into a werewolf that loomed over me. I got a bit caught off guard, but I shook off my fear and she finally lunged towards me.

"I didn't kill you because I wanted you to trust me and to--" Her words suddenly got cut off as Veronica and Rosalia came into the room turning into humans and drawing weapons.

"What is going on here?" Veronica screamed in shock. They scared me as I only saw a flash of light against my back, oblivious to the fact that it was only them, not one of Hyrea's magic spells.

"Huh? What's all this? Well then, I guess I will have to kill you all to sacriface to the great wolf goddess Lupa, so I could finally obtain the wolf stone to gain ultimate power!" I shook my head in disbelief. Why would she do this? Veronica and Rosalia readied their weapons and as did I. There were many bright flashes of light and blood all over the place. The walls were full of scratches and holes. As Veronica and Rosalia battled the hideous monster attacking us, I felt like a coward. I was never able to fight very well. After a while of continuous battle noises, we all defeated Hyrea for the time being as all of us knew she would return since she was immortal. Veronica and Rosalia stalked off horrified to clean up scratches and wounds. Finally, after an hour of cleaning up my wounds as well as theirs, both girls went to go pack their stuff so they could leave as soon as dawn came. As Veronica and Rosalia gathered their stuff, they looked at me in suspicion.

"What were you doing up?" Rosalia said breaking the awkward silence of packaging noises. I was still human and I was very happy about that, but at the same time wobbly and dizzy since I had grown so accustomed to being a wolf and I lost most of my senses.

In reply, I told them, "I just couldn't sleep and I wanted some fresh air. As I was walking down corridors, I reached the front door and there she was. I didn't sense her as a werewolf, so she probably hid her scent well. Then she started to talk to me in a weird way. She scared me and then you came out hearing all the commotion and then you know the rest." I felt terrible for lying but I knew I had to because I didn't want them knowing of me trying to flee the home to escape from harming my new friends again. They continued packing up with their backs turned to me in disappointment and I whined like any other animal would do in sadness. Then I realized that this was my chance to escape. I whispered to myself and the soft air blowing on me, "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Veronica and Rosalia. I really hope that we'll meet up again soon, but I must go now. I have disappointed both of you and I don't deserve friends like you." Then, as quietly as possible, I tiptoed out and stalked off to a corner where blood was dripping and gagged off the smell. The smell nauseated me, but a quick, not so bright transformation and I turned back into a wolf with a small saddle of packing stuff. I turned around to the front door and stared into the foggy twilight sky and stared at my new destiny. I ran out as quietly as I could. I accepted what I my desire was and even though I wasn't too happy about it, it would make my friends happy to see their burden gone. I fled Hyrea's bloody and scary home and fled into the night. I instantly caught scent of the forest and continued running towards it. When I reached the forest, I howled softly in happiness as I continued running in silence towards my new adventure.

-----------------------

Word count: 1270

Hey guys! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in such a long time but here I am with the longest chapter so far of the book! It was also a turn of events for the main character as she wasn't expecting such a kind and caring witch to become such a monster! So I hope all of you guys enjoyed and votes, comments, and people who share my book with others is much appreciated.  I will continue with a schedule to update since it's summer time and so I will be updated every 2-3 days so all of you guys could keep up with the story. I will also be starting a word count thing at the top before the notes at the end, so be sure to see before you read the notes. See you all in the next chapter and remember that votes are always appreciated! Bye!