richie and eddie - IT

I walk into the gates of the pier, and inhale the sweet scent of sugar.
Richie smiles at me and I grin, taking it all in.

This is my first carnival. Richie says he's been to a few and that he's always wanted to take me to see one, so here we are.
Women and men in bright colours behind stalls call us to play games and buy things, and Richie pulls me over to a bright pink box. Inside the box is something odd; it's pink and fluffy and spongy looking.

'Two of 'em, please!' he says, and the man behind the box spins the pink fluff onto two sticks.
Richie hands over a bit of change, and I hold the fluff, staring at it.
'C'mon Eds, its cotton candy. Take a bite, bud.'
I eat it, and it tastes sweet and melts in my mouth. I grin and Richie beams.
'Ya like it, huh?'

I see clowns everywhere, but Richie clutches my hand tightly.
'Its okay. You'll be okay,' he says in that soft voice of his.

He buys us tickets to a great big wheel, and we take our cotton candy and sit in a swinging stall.
We go up and up, stopping every few seconds, until we're at the top.
'Sure is a great view, huh?' I say.
He nods, and suddenly he's the one mesmerised by everything he sees.
I wanna make this moment memorable, but I dont know how.

I lean forward slightly.
'Hey, Richie, thanks for bringin' me here,' I say. He turns and smiles.
'My pleasure, Eds.'
I look down at all the small people, and in any other situation I would've reached for my inhaler and puffed on it to get me calm, but something makes me feel safe.
Richie makes me feel safe.
He reaches forward and holds my hands, and we descend back to earth.

sorry if this is inaccurate for the 1950s ahah x
- tan