CH 2: Lunch (Date?)

Micah's POV 

Throughout practice, Mathew kept looking at me. But when I would look up at him, he would look away in a hurry. I wonder why is keeps staring at me. He was nice to me earlier.

Mat's POV

Coach's daughter is nice, quite beautiful too, but I know the rules. Coach makes them clear every year, "No dating my daughter." and "Don't hurt my daughter, she's been through enough." That's what stuck with me, "she's been through enough",  coach said his wife died of cancer in 2006, and according to Micah, she was 8. But for some reason, I don't think that's what actually happened, who knows though, I could be wrong. 

Micah, she's the one I was paying attention too, not coach, not practice, her. Throughout practice, I couldn't focus. At the moment we're practicing our shooting and techniques, half of the team with Stankowski, our second string, the other half with Toth, our main goalie. I was with Stankowski, and I had a perfect view of Micah.  I somehow missed 30 shots in a row, hmm, somehow, or someone. If you miss 3 shots in a row, that's 2 extra laps after practice, I missed 30. Lucky me, 20 extra laps after practice. Thanks, Micah.

20 extra laps because all I could focus on was her, the coach's daughter. Trust me I tried to keep focused on the goal, but I couldn't. There's just something about her, she's a mystery and I need to figure her out.

Micah's POV

Mathew has to do 20 extra laps at the end of practice and I can't help but feel like it's somehow my fault.

He's about to start his first lap so I hop of the bench and go join him. "Hey Mathew." I smile. Mathew looks up from retying his skates and returns my smile. "You can call me, Mat." He gets up off the ice and starts slowly skating forward, I follow him.  Before my mind can catch what I'm saying, I speak. "Why were you staring at me during practice today?" I blurt out. "Sorry, you don't have to answer that." I rush out right after, my cheeks during a light shade of crimson, I stare at my feet. Mat starts to pick up speed. I do the same, he doesn't answer me until our fifth lap. "You intrigue me." He lets out truthfully. I look at him confused. He goes on, "there's something about you, Micah, something of a mystery to me. I want to figure you out," "why though, Mat?" He abruptly hockey stops, shredding a little ice onto my skates, I hockey stop after I realize he has, too. "See, that's where I can't help you, Micah. Because, frankly, I don't know the answer."

We stay silent until we finish the last 15 laps, he asks me to lunch. I don't want to seem to eager, though I kind of am, because we just met a few hours ago, so I respond with a simple, "sure" He smiles at my response. "Great, I was thinking of going to Mama's Kitchen? Mama reminds me of my grandmother, and I go there as often as possible, I haven't gone this week, not even once." Him referring to Mama as his grandma makes me giggle. 

"You're one of the giggly types? Come on, I should've known." he chuckles slightly while shaking his head. "Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" I hit his arm gently. "It means that I found your hamartia." "hamartia? Did you really just use The Fault In Our Stars?" I laugh. "Fatal flaws are valuable lessons," he says, shrugging. "How is me giggling my fatal flaw." "How is an un(LIT) cigarette, Gus'?" Damn, he's deeper than I thought. "You so watch chick flicks!" I yell, pointing at him. "yeah, so what. Pointing is rude, by the way." He pulls up in front of Mama's. "what's wrong with chick flicks?" He asks.  "Nothing, I occasionally don't mind a good chick flick, but The Fault In Our Stars? Really? It's wayyy to clique." "Well then, Micah, what movies do you prefer?" "I love scary movies, and SCI-FI! Ooooh I LOVE STAR WARS!" I say getting excited and loud, unbuckling my seat belt, jumping slightly in my seat. "You, my friend, are the definition of a nerd." I couldn't help but smile. "That's not nice! I didn't call you a romantic because you watch cliques like The Fault In Our Stars!" He cracks a half smile as he laughs, "I never said it was a bad thing," he winks at me as he gets out of the car.

***AFTER LUNCH***

Lunch was amazing, me and Mat got to know each other a little more. I now know that he is also an only child, his dad lives back "home" in Coquitlam BC., his mom died when he was a kid too, he's played hockey for as long as he can remember, he called me beautiful and gave me his number. Too bad dad would never allow anything between me and him.

Mat and me lost track of time and he didn't get to me and my dads house until 5 minutes to 10. 10 is my curfew, I know, legal adult at 18 in America, yet you still have to be home by 10 p.m. Before I am even fully in the door  . "Where have you been, Mac? Why didn't you answer my calls or texts? I know you weren't with Ottenbreit, or True, I called them. I was worried, Mac." I sigh. "Dad, I was out with Mat, we went out for lunch, then just hung out.I promise I'll get home earlier next time, we were having fun, we lost track of time. My phone died." "Mat? As in my captain Mathew Barzal? What the hell were you doing with him?" He's been drinking, it gets worse every years, I think it's because on mom. "Dad, we didn't do anything, we just hung out. As friends, just like me, Alex, and Turner." dad scoffs, "whatever, lying whore." Wow, that hurt. I go to make a run to the stairs, before what comes next, but I'm not fast enough. He slaps me, hard. "Go upstairs, Slut! Now!" I quickly make my way upstairs, going through my contacts until I find the one I'm looking for, by now it's almost midnight.

I press call and wait as it rings, I hear my dad yelling from downstairs. i'm silently sobbing. When he picks up the phone, he sounds groggy, I must've woken him up. "Hello?" He asks. "Mat? I need you help."

.

Word count: 1107

Total word count: 2251

Date published: 05.30.17