CH. 3: I'll Keep You Safe

Mat's POV

Micah called me, she sounded like she's been crying. I get dressed hurriedly, and have just enough time to answer the phone before it goes to voicemail. It's her again. "Mat! He's coming up the stairs, he's gonna hurt me." She cried. I'm scared, I don't want anything to happen to her. "Micah, listen to me. Take a deep breath, I'm coming as fast as I can. I won't let him hurt you." I hear the door open, "hide!" I yell into the receiver. "And for the love of God, do not hang up the phone." she whispers an "okay" as, what sounds like, her dad coming into the room and she hides. I push done on the gas a little harder, "Micah, come out, come out, wherever you are," He laughs, he's slurring too. She starts to quietly sob again, quietly of course. "See, Micah. This is what happens when you go and screw half my hockey team!" His voice booms through the receiver. Half the hockey team? What is he talking about? Micah's not like that, I'm sure of it. He starts saying more shit that's just overall horrible. He keeps calling her a slut and a liar. 

I knew Coach K had a drinking problem, hell, the whole team knew. How long as he been hitting her?

The next thing he said made me angry. "I wish they shot you in the head and not your mother, she wasn't a slut like you!" She gasps loudly, he must of heard her because I hear her scream and yell, and then some rustling. He found her. I push down on the gas a little harder.

By now I'm going well over the speed limit, like 65 in a 25 MPH zone. I need to get to her, protect her.

"Mat please! Save me!" She cries out. I hang up as I hurriedly run inside her house. I follow her loud sobs and her fathers shouting, I find myself upstairs in, what looks like, her room. She's huddled in the farthest corner, Coach K towering over her. She has yet to see me. Right before he hits her, I grab his fist and hit him with my own. He's on the floor, out cold. 

She hasn't looked up yet, waiting for the impact of her fathers fist, but it won't come, not anymore. I squat down, so I'm level with her. I put my hand under her jaw, she flinches away. I do it again and wipe her freshly fallen tears. She looks up at me. "I'm here" I whisper, she holds onto me, not willing to let me go. I sit down and pull her onto my lap, "I'm here... I'm here..." I whisper every 30 seconds or so until her breathing slows. I ask the question I've been longing to ask, "How long has he been like this?" She sighs and takes a deep breath, "He's been drinking since mom died, he's, he's," she pauses, takes another deep breath and continues "He's been hitting me since I was 13." A look of relief washes over her face, "You've been scared to tell anyone, haven't you? You haven't even told Alex and Turner," "Yes, I have. No, I haven't and they can't know, no one can. Promise me, Mat. No one can know." She looks at me, pleadingly. "No one will, I promise." 

We sit there for a few more minutes before I realize that it's almost 2 in the morning. "Your dad might wake up soon, and I'm not letting you stay here. Come on, your gonna stay with me." I stand up and give her my hand, she takes it and I pull her up. I find her gym bag and fill it with 3 different pairs of shoes, 4 different pants, 8 different shirts, and undergarments, making sure I grab her skates too.

I take hold of her hand and lead he downstairs, right as her dad starts to wake, when we reach the bottom of the stairs she lets go of my hand and goes into what I believe is the kitchen. Her dad starts yelling and by the time she gets back, she has a jar in her hands, a locket around her neck, a ring around her right ring finger, and a picture frame. 

A look of horror washes her face, "Mat, look out!" she yells as her dad grabs the back of my collar and tugs me backwards. "You aren't taking her anywhere!" He booms. "Micah, go wait in the car." she looks at me with scared eyes. "He won't hurt you anymore." I whisper, with that reassurance she walks out the door. "She's my daughter." He says sternly. "That you would rather have dead than your wife, don't worry I heard you. If she's your daughter, you wouldn't say things like that, nor call her a slut and a liar. You're nothing more than a coward, coach. I'll see you tomorrow at practice, and until you fix this, your problem, that's the only time you'll see your daughter. You'll never hurt her again. I assure you, because if you do, you WILL deal with me." 

I walk out their front door and to my car, I see her, in the front seat, sobbing. "He thinks me and you screwed." I look at her puzzled, "That's why he called me a slut." I grip onto the steering wheel so hard my knuckles turn white. "He's an asshole, I'm sorry." She looks up at me, "Honestly it's fine, he's not gonna hurt me anymore,"  We don't speak after that, and when I pull into my driveway, she snoring loudly in my passenger seat. 

Not wanting to wake her, I pick her up bridal style, and carry her into my small 1 bedroom apartment, It's not a lot but it's enough for me. I lay her down in my bed and I (SLYTHERIN (I'll go home)) grab one of the pillows off my bed. I start heading to my living room when Micah starts tossing and turning. When she awakens she looks around frantic, not knowing where she is. I go and sit next to her. "It's okay, it's just me, I'm here." I say as I hold her. Once she calms down I start to stand back up when she pulls me back down, "Stay with me." It's not a question, it's more like a demand, but I'm happy to comply. 

Soon enough, she's asleep again, in my arms. I could get used to this. I look down at the sleeping girl laying on my chest, I smile. She's beautiful even at her worst, even without trying, she always is. I met her today yet I feel like I've know her my own whole life. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. I'm falling for this girl, way faster than I should be. 

"I promise you, Micah, I'll keep you safe." I feel myself fade out of reality and into sleep.

.

Word count: 1171

Total word count: 3422

Date published: 05.31.17