P H E N O M E N O N | 05

Definition of  PHE·NOM·E·NON
ˈnäməˌnən/
noun ; a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen.

Definition of  PHE·NOM·E·NONfəˈnäməˌnən/noun ; a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen

AS I ENTERED BIOLOGY CLASS , I SAW Jasper stare at me as I sit beside him. Not having any mood to talk , I remain silent throughout the class.

Mr. Hanz started class at the moment. I tried to concentrate as he explained the lab we would be doing today. The slides in the box were out of order. Working as lab partners, we had to separate the slides of onion root tip cells into phases of mitosis they represented an label them accordingly. We weren't supposed to use our book. In twenty minutes, he would be coming around to see who had it right.

"Get started," he commanded.

"Ladies first, partner?" Jasper asked. I looked up to see him smiling a crooked smile so beautiful that I could only stare at him like an idiot.

"Sure." I answer shortly. Suddenly , I didn't feel annoyed and stressed down like I did in the lunch. Somehow, I'm just feeling like this morning again-calm and happy. I don't know where it's coming from but I just go with it.

I'd already done this lab, and I know what I was looking for. It should be easy. I snapped the first slide into place under the microscope and adjusted it quickly to the 40X objective. I studied the slide briefly.

My assessment was confident. "Prophase."

"Do you mind if I look?" He asked as I began to remove the slide. His hand caught mine, to stop me, as he asked. His finger were ice-cold like he'd been holding them in a snowdrift before class. Maybe it was just a family thing because Alice's skin is also like that. Hold up , they were not really related and instantly  increasing my curiosity towards them. But that wasn't why I jerked my hand away so quickly. When he touch , it stung my hand as if an electric current had passed through us.

"Sorry," he muttered, pulling his hand back immediately. However, he continue to reach for the microscope. I watched him, still staggered , as he examined the slide for an even shorter time that I had.

"Prophase," he agreed, writing it neatly in the first space on out worksheet. He swiftly switched out the first slide for the second, and then glanced at it curiosity.

"Anaphase," he murmured , writing it down as he spoke.

"May I?" 

He look up to me and pushed the microscope gently. I looked through the eyepiece eagerly , only to be disappointed. He was right.

"Slide three?" I held out my hand without looking at him. He handed it to me; it seemed like he was being careful not to touch my skin again. I tool the most fleeting look I could manage.

"Interphase." I passed him the microscope before he could ask for it. He took a swift peek, and then wrote it down. I would have written it while he looked , but his clear elegant script intimidated me.