April 9th 1939 Franz

While Lucy held her secrets close and Franz tried to hear, to understand her quiet lies. Germany was invading Norway and Denmark. A problem to the countries, but a mystery to the young adolescents who had no clue of the war and just how bad it would soon be.

Dear journal,

Why won't Lucy talk to me, what secrets does this stupid girl have to keep. I will talk to her about this just not yet. I'll give the girl some time but if she doesn't talk to me in the next three days I will knock on her door and demand an answer. What does she think that I'm stupid? I will find out weather that will be by talking o her in school or knocking at her door until she answers.

~ Franz Hubermann

She did not talk to him in the three days , not in school not in the streets. He chose the latter option he gave himself in his journal . He went to her door on the cool spring day. He pounded on the door not expecting any form of reply no one came to the door, at least not right away. When he started back down the steps Lucy with a look of surprise on her face opened the door and said "Franz? I'm sorry." For what it was that she was apologizing for didn't matter that was all he wanted to hear at the time, that and a three word phrase he wouldn't hear for a long time. At least not from Lucy.