Chapter 1: Of Troubles and Meetings

Academy City

                 A sovereign city-state whose territory consists of a walled enclave within Tokyo Metropolitan Employment Area. It is a city of several schools and institutions of higher learning from kindergarten to university level that learn side-by-side along with the scientists who research on psychic powers and higher technology, the latter being one of the primary reasons for its establishment. It is the most advanced city in the world and its technology is said to be 30 years ahead of the world. A place which he didn’t think he’ll be returning to.

            Kuroko Tetsuya contemplated about this as he sat-up upon the passenger’s seat of the bus destined to take him where he’s supposed to stay.

            Before this relaxing posture was a hellish confrontation with a jammed-pack security checks which took almost 45-minutes to pass through. With Academy City’s security checkpoint, it’s supposed to take a good 4-hour of security check like fingerprint, DNA and urine tests but since he has quite the natural use of his ability he was seemed to be forgotten through the line and was pushed to enter the premises without much breaking a sweat.

            Tetsuya can only stiffen as a loud siren rang outside the bus, it seems like there’s a rocket scheduled to launch this time. It is thanks to the noise filter of the bus that the once loud siren was now a mere whisper in the wind.

            ‘Just like the old times.’

            That’s true, Kuroko Tetsuya once lived here.

            He once studied here when he was on his pre-school years together with his ‘little cousin’ but his parents decided to pull him out because he was given the lack of attention as well as he seems to be always forgotten thanks to his peculiar skill.

            Yes he is an Ability-user [1].

            Invisibility.

            A skill in which one could hide his/her presence deeming for them to be ‘invisible’. However, to Tetsuya’s case it actually seemed to be of natural-level to have a low presence, just like his mother. And seeing as it is, he and his mother are proven to be genuine ‘Gemstones’ [2] as their abilities are handed down through bloodline and that he originally didn’t go through the so-called ‘Power Curriculum Program’ [3].

            According to studies, all ability-users have what is called a ‘Personal Reality’, the basis of an ability-users power and refers to their ability to replace ordinary reality with his/her own. Given to that statement, it is understandable that Tetsuya’s ability is generated to his own belief that he is a ‘shadow’, a supporting actor to make his chosen ‘light’ be stronger in his own way. And as such his ability constantly affects the reality as it became a normal circularity of his 15-years of life considering his ability as a ‘Passive Ability’.

            Misdirection.

            Was the technique he learned during middle-school in which his former captain assists him into perfection.

            With his weak body and presence, all he can do is to use his ability to become the Teiko-Middle School and The Generation of Miracles’ ‘phantom sixth-man’.

            ‘But it was different now.’

            He hates Basketball.