Chapter .10

Soothed by the calm, she lets herself be dragged deeper

The bliss that overcame me felt like after I had set my feet down on dry land after being at sea for weeks. Everything made sense and that reassurance let me relax for the first time in weeks. I had confidence in the form of Corro by my side, and the blue amethyst blade in my hand making me feel a power that I had never experienced before.

"What should we do now?" I asked out into the morning light. I'm sure if anyone saw me talk to myself in that way, they would think I was crazy.

"We are going to see a friend of Day's. Let me guide you." Corro's voice echoed in the back of my mind.

"Why would we do that?"

"I'm afraid that she might get in the way. It seems like she is a little... infatuated with Day."

"Infatuated? With that killer?" Hearing that made my blood boil. I began to clamber through the dewy grass back towards the empty road, rolling in my anger. This girl is just going to be be an obstacle standing in our way. To get to Day, we'll have to take her out first to prohibit any future conflicts.

The early morning sun just starts to peek over the trees lining the park. The streetlight above me flickers on and off in protest before finally quitting. The light hitting my face felt glorious like I had never felt this alive in my life.

"Where to?" My hand rubs my temple as if doing so would summon Corro somehow.

"I'll show you. Just don't resist." Without warning, my feet started to move, taking me slowly down the sidewalk. It was so natural that it took me a second to realize that I wasn't in full control of my body. Down at the end of the street, a small car had turned the corner and was coming down the road. I looked down at the sword in my hand, and then back at the car.

"They can't see us, you know. I thought you already knew this. You don't have to worry about anything except our current goals, so don't get distracted now," Corro's voice reassured. I turn my eyes from the road as my pace quickens down the grey sidewalk. I knew better than to question, the past reminded me that it wasn't necessary.

I walk for what seems like a fraction of a second before seeing the familiar field in which Ponya lived in. Something clicked inside my head. She was the one who cared so deeply for Day? What a shame. This wouldn't be hard to do, I didn't like her from the start. Ponya is now only a thin wall standing in between us and safety for all. I approached the house, still in only half control of my body.

"This is for the better good of all of us." A quote that I knew would keep me on track. I'm saving us. I'm saving me. Anyone who gets in my way now is a danger to us all. I inhale as much of the morning air before raising my hand to knock on the door to the little home. The sound of a footsteps approaching from behind caused my hand to stop.

"Lynn?" The voice came from behind me. I turned my head just enough to catch a glance at Ponya, who was sweating like she had just gone for a run. Luna emerged from behind as stared at me with that white eyed expression of hers. I didn't hesitate for a second. I lunged at Ponya and swung the amethyst sword, which sliced into the space below her ribcage like butter. As soon as I pierced into her skin, I was flung back and hit the ground softly like it was made of pillows. I was on my feet before I even registered what had happened.

"Luna, come." Ponya's voice was cracking and weak but I could still feel that she wasn't going to give up after only being knocked down once. This could be trouble for me.

She was standing up to my surprise, holding a glowing white pistol aimed directly at my head.

The bullet was as milky white as the gun, and soared towards my forehead at an alarming rate.

"Do you trust me?"

At that moment, time slowed to a stop. The bullet was a inch from my face and aimed right between my eyes. I moved my empty hand to pick up the small piece of ammunition, and studied it between my fingers and trace the small star with my index. I took a good look at my opponent, the wall between me and the deadly beast that lives inside Day. I stroll over to the frozen shell of Ponya. I see the blood dripping not only from her stomach, but her mouth as well. I must have cut into her airway as it was stained into the collar her white sweatshirt.

"So she must have been out for a morning run," I said out loud, to no one in particular. I feel time starting to begin again and slip the bullet into the pocket on her top. Ponya begins to tip forward and before she had time to react, I shove the end of my weapon into her chest, causing slow motion blood to fly out of her mouth.

I rip the blade out as time regains its purpose and stood above Ponya who is sprawled over on the ground.

"You're making this far too easy."