Chapter 49: Death of a Kage

Jiraiya was practically single handedly holding off the frontal attack on the gates. The Kumo shinobi could sense his movements becoming less crisp as he fought while exhaustion began setting in. But even slightly slower attacks still massacred them.

His taijutsu was swift and powerful, a single punch could kill if it struck the head or mid-section. Beyond just his taijutsu he liberally used ninjutsu that took out whole swathes of invaders. Raiton jutsu flashed through the air but failed to connect with the Godaime Hokage.

It wasn't only Jiraiya who was getting tired. Genma and Yugao were also breathing heavily. Genma was in a bit better shape as his attacks were primarily senbon based. Yugao on the other hand was using her katana and she could feel the ache in her limbs.

"Jiraiya boy you need to retreat. You are at your limit; soon you will drop out of sage mode!"

Jiraiya shook his head. He wouldn't stop, not until the village was safe.

On the opposing side of the battlefield Atsui saw the Hokage slowing down. Not even an S class threat like him could stand up forever against waves of enemy shinobi, especially one who had just tangled with the Raikage.

Knowing that Jiraiya couldn't keep them out forever Atsui had started stripping jōnin from the advancing waves of Kumo shinobi attacking the Hokage. He now had a dozen jōnin ready to go and would strike when the time was right. The honor of killing a Kage would be his. The elite jōnin gave a smile at the situation and thought about his sister. If he could kill a Kage and she could kill the Fire Daimyo there would be stories about their legend for generations.

'I'm coming for you soon Hokage!'

***BREAK***

The Raikage streaked across the battlefield. His speed was legendary and with that super human speed came power that made him the greatest taijutsu user in the world. Like he had done on the left flank and in the center he would cut through the Konoha line and allow his shinobi access into his enemy's stronghold.

Up ahead he saw why his shinobi hadn't made any progress. Gai and Tsunade were there holding the line. They were both ferociously skilled hand to hand combatants. Judging from the amount of blood on them and the number of his loyal shinobi dead at their feet they had caused the lion's share of the casualties.

Gai dipped his head a fraction allowing the katana to miss by an inch. He retaliated with a devastating fist to the chest that made the enemy shinobi fly backwards twenty feet. He sensed the approach of the Raikage and instantly knew his current level of power and speed would simply not be enough.

The green clad elite jōnin instantly accessed the Hachimon (Eight Gates) and opened the sixth gate. The Keimon (Gate of View) allowed massive increases in strength and speed and at the same time it granted the benefits of the early gates which refreshed his stamina. His skin turned red and power radiated around him. Shimmering with power Gai rushed forward and intercepted the Raikage.

The Raikage had been aiming for Tsunade and almost didn't see the flash of green and red before it was on him. He pivoted and blocked the powerful fist. The forceful collision shoved both of them back a few feet. The Raikage recovered slightly faster than Gai and rushed back in delivering a powerful elbow to Gai's chest, or it would have if Gai hadn't shoved it aside at the last moment.

Tsunade's eyes widened at the speed that they were fighting at. She could keep track of their movements but in a hand to hand fight she would have been decimated by either one of them. Granted she could heal herself from almost all wounds that weren't instantly fatal so the battle wouldn't have been a foregone conclusion; but it would have been a very painful test.